The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to nearly 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other report and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried-out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
Our objective for this position is to support the refinement of a comprehensive, organization-shaping document we are in the midst of developing. The role could eventually lead to a general communication position, which would involve developing efficient systems for translating our research and results into compelling and current knowledge for a broad set of stakeholders that range from development agency representatives and sector specialists to the interested public. We are looking for a Communications Intern who combines a strong technical background with a demonstrated passion for analyzing, writing about, and presenting complex development issues.
This position will be based remotely and will report to Aquaya’s Executive Director in collaboration with one of Aquaya’s board members.
- The primary responsibility will be to serve as editor of a comprehensive, organization-shaping document about data science applications in the water and sanitation sector
- Secondary responsibilities could include
- Updating templates and designs for various communication products
- Ensuring that all of Aquaya’s marketing and outreach materials are maintained and up-to-date
- Creating, curating and managing content for a variety of deliverables ranging from website updates, blog posts and newsletters to proposals and presentations
- Editing papers and reports for publication
- Evaluating the effectiveness of Aquaya’s communication’s efforts
Experience and Education
- Demonstrated experience in writing and managing successful communications
- Preferred graduate degree in a relevant field
Skills and Attributes
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to delivery
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent graphic design and presentation skills
- Ability to use digital media software such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail and an ability to establish systems to manage constant flows of information and deliver on deadlines
- Fluency in English required. French speakers are encouraged to apply
- Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
This is a temporary, part-time position, with hourly compensation of $20/hour. The position is expected to last 3 months.
- Build your resume, expertise and network in the global water and sanitation sector
- Opportunity to work directly with and be mentored by Principal Investigators at an international, highly reputable non-profit
- Opportunity to gain expertise in an emerging field and on a ground-breaking project to develop a platform to harness global data resources on water and sanitation
- Position supports meaningful research making measurable impacts on the health and well-being worldwide
Please submit your resume via e-mail to email@example.com along with a thoughtful cover letter by May 31, 2020. In the cover letter, please explain why you are interested in the mission, values, and activities of Aquaya. Please also tell us why your skills and experience make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting communications and knowledge management experience.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In the e-mail subject line, please write ‘Communications Intern’. No phone calls please.