Location: Brussels, Belgium
Application deadline: 27/05/2020
Earliest starting date: 01/08/2020
– Are you passionate about environmental issues?
– Would you like to use your skills and experience to make a difference and help us fight climate change?
CDP, one of the world’s leading climate change charities, is seeking a highly motivated individual to assist the public affairs and policy work of CDP Europe.
About policy and public affairs: Government action is crucial to fighting environmental impacts. CDP helps policymakers to achieve their goals and protect the climate and the environment by providing decision makers with access to a critical source of global data that delivers the evidence and insight required to drive non-state actor environmental action. The role will focus on supporting the European policy team with the creation and publication of internal and external policy briefings, reports, newsletters and tailored analyses as well as managing relationships with policy makers and peer NGOs.
The role includes:
Content development, research & analysis:
- Providing information and assistance to CDP colleagues on EU policies and CDP policy and public affairs engagement;
- Produce policy content for CDP’s diverse stakeholder groups;
- Assisting the policy team with external communication: creation and publication of internal and external policy briefings, reports, newsletters and tailored analyses;
- Preparing high-quality briefing materials on the basis of CDP data and current CDP policy priorities, incl. preparation of CDP statements to public consultations of EU legislative proposals;
- Providing research and analysis as well as preparing content for projects in collaboration with other CDP teams to improve disclosure of corporations, cities and regions and action on disclosure by investors and governments.
Coordination & organisation:
- Coordinating CDP’s policy and operational engagement with EU institutions and other EU level stakeholders;
- Managing and leveraging relationships with current CDP partners, including policymakers, peer NGOs and EU representations of CDP stakeholders;
- Driving CDP participation and actively participating in EU meetings and working groups related to all CDP topics and programmes, proactively identifying opportunities such as calls for consultations and speaking opportunities for CDP staff and draft responses and talking points;
- Grant reporting and compliance;
- Management and maintenance of internal tools and processes, including the policy contacts database;
- Organization of events, workshops and webinars including the engagement of high-level speakers;
- Management of interns.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, including experience of data analysis, research and communications’, Master’s degree preferred;
- 1+ year work experience in a similar role;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Sound understanding of global and EU policy objectives related to climate change, environment (water security and deforestation) and/or sustainable finance and how EU policies fit in with the current efforts to achieve the Paris Agreement and the European Green Deal;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and work independently;
- Strong organisational and planning skills;
- Attention to detail with strong analytical, research, writing and drafting skills;
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills and ability to work in a multi-national team;
- Good public speaking skills and ability to interact with high-level representatives from the private and public sectors;
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal; Fluent in English communication skills (written and verbal) a necessity, communication skills in another European language advantageous.
What we offer:
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, innovative and highly motivated team;
- Working with many dedicated and passionate people for a good cause;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Company Pension Scheme;
- Monthly contribution to public transport in accordance with Belgian labour laws;
- Modern office with free hot beverages and considerable networking opportunities.
The successful candidate will work five days per week and must be able to work legally in Belgium. This full-time role is based at our office in Brussels, Belgium, and will work closely with and report to the Policy Engagement Manager, CDP Europe.
Interested? Interested candidates should submit their complete application documents (motivation letter addressed to Mona Freundt, CV, references/certificates and salary expectations) in English, as a single PDF file and via email to [email protected] with “Policy & Public Affairs Officer – First name Last name” in the subject line.
Before you apply, we’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates due to the sheer volume of applications. If you do not hear from us within 14 days of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for your understanding.