GCF - Technical Coordinator/ Training Expert (Lead Consultant)
The Technical Coordinator/Training Expert (Lead Consultant) will be a key position to support the implementation and timely delivery of the Readiness Support to Strengthen the Philippines’ Capacity and Knowledge on Accessing the GCF or Readiness and Preparatory Support Program (RPSP-1) in the Philippines. The chosen candidate will have excellent knowledge on Philippines’s climate change policies, challenges, directions; a disposition to support capacity building activities; and track record in the coordination of similar assignments in a manner that fosters ownership by government officials and other relevant stakeholders.
The consultant will report directly to the GGGI Country Representative and the National Focal Point (NFP) of the National Designated Authority (NDA) of the Green Climate Fund in the Philippines and will receive guidance/support from GGGI senior officers in the Philippines and Headquarters, including the GGGI-GCF Liaison Unit. S/he will work in close cooperation with the Climate Change Commission (CCC), as the NDA, and key stakeholders in the Philippines.
The consultant is expected to lead the regular and strategic collaboration among all consultants assigned to this RPSP-1 as a cohesive unit; ensure strong knowledge transfer; facilitate exchange of inputs; and maintain the synchronization and convergence of activities to support the successful implementation of the RPSP-1.
The consultant will manage the other consultants engaged by the project to ensure the synchronization of activities and the convergence of consultant outputs that are of acceptable technical quality. In view of this function, the consultant will establish an effective coordination, monitoring and reporting mechanism among the other project consultants to regularly update the GGGI and the CCC about the consolidated progress of all deliverables, including financial status, through periodic reports and coordination meetings. Based on this, the consultant is responsible in drafting an organizational-wide periodic report to GCF conducted every six month.
The consultant will develop standardized approaches, such as templates based on GGGI and CCC requirements, for adoption of all consultants to ensure that outputs are delivered according to expected quality and timelines. S/he will be responsible for initially reviewing all consultant outputs to ensure that these are consistent with their respective TORs and with the agreed approaches and templates, and, in coordination with the GGGI and CCC, communicate findings with the concerned consultants for appropriate action.
The consultant will also be responsible for organizing and conducting Capacity Development Activities such as theOrientation Training onthe GCF; Intensive Training Workshop on Project Development; and National Conference on the GCF, among others, with technical inputs from identified Resource Persons and the other consultants.
Scope of Work
In partnership with the CCC, the GGGI provides technical support as the Delivery Partner (DP) for the Readiness Support to Strengthen the Philippines’ Capacity and Knowledge on Accessing the GCF or Readiness and Preparatory Support Program (RPSP-1). The RPSP-1 will strengthen the capacity of the CCC in fully implementing its roles and responsibilities as the NDA to the GCF. The RPSP-1 will also provide additional institutional support for government agencies, civil society organizations (CSOs), private sector organizations, and the academe to access climate finance; develop a monitoring and verification system for climate finance flows in the country; and pursue the ratification of a bilateral agreement between the Philippines and GCF on privileges and immunities. The outcome of the RPSP-1 will build the capacity of CCC in performing its role as the NDA and promote public awareness of the NDA and GCF.
In close coordination with the GGGI and the CCC, the consultant will lead Project Coordination Activities to ensure that project objectives are attained and that outputs are delivered based on agreed timeline and budget.
The Consultant will perform the following functions:
A. Technical Coordination
- In coordination with the GGGI and the CCC, prepare the Project Detailed Work Plan to synchronize and coordinate the activities and deliverables of each consultant, including other reports related to RPSP-1 required by the NDA;
- Establish a Project Monitoring and Reporting Mechanism to support the Detailed Work Plan and Timelines, including project budget and expenditures, and facilitate the management of consultant activities and outputs, which include established schedules for regular coordination meetings with the consultants, GGGI and the CCC;
- Organize and lead the conduct of coordination meetings and progress review with consultants, GGGI and CCC to determine progress, identify concerns, and introduce catch-up plan and measures to address slippages and issues;
- Develop templates and standards in output delivery to harmonize the expectations on the content and quality of consultant outputs. S/he will review consultant outputs and provide written recommendations/findings to ensure that consultants are compliant with these standards.
- Submit Periodic Project Progress Report (e.g. monthly, quarterly, yearly) to the GGGI and CCC and participate in management level coordination meetings to meet project milestones, address implementation issues, and ensure successful completion of the RPSP-1;
- Provide technical inputs to GGGI and the CCC in the documentation of project lesson and preparation of project completion reports, among others;
- In coordination with the GGG and CCC, represent the RPSP-1 in events relevant to the objectives of the project; and
- Scope other relevant initiatives and provide recommendations to GGGI and the CCC to network and explore possible complementation to broaden RPSP-1 impacts;
B. Capacity Development and Training
Review institutional and coordination mechanisms of the NDA, NDA Secretariat, GCF-Technical Working Group; and policies and guidelines on GCF-related and other related documents to guide the design of the training and conference activities and ensure that these result in the envisioned improvements in capacity and knowledge;
- Prepare the activity designs and programs for the Orientation and Training on GCF (GCF-RPSP LOGFRAME Activity 1.1.1), Intensive Training Workshop on Project Development (Activity 1.1.4), and National Conference on the GCF (Activity 1.1.5) in coordination with the GGGI and the CCC; including the selection of participants; the administration of pre-and post-training evaluation with participants; the preparation of training tools, training concept notes and presentations;
- Identification and selection of Technical Resource Persons for the aforementioned training activities in close coordination with GGGI and CCC;
- Prepare pre-training needs assessment and post-training evaluation for each activity;
- Coordinate and facilitate the accomplishment of all necessary requirements and arrangements for the conduct of the concerned training activities, including logistical and technical requirements such as the coordination, meetings and engagement of Technical Resource Persons and finalization of workshop mechanics;
- Lead and facilitate the actual conduct of the Orientation and Training on GCF, Intensive Training Workshop on Project Development and National Conference on the GCF;
- Guide the conduct of the Training Video Documentation, which will be undertaken by a separate service provider in coordination with the Knowledge Management and Communication Expert;
- Review and supervise the delivery of training outputs, including the Training Completion Report, Training Video Documentation and the Finalized Training Package for future activities of the NDA.
The Consultant will deliver the following main outputs:
Output 1: Individual Work Plan describing the approach, methodologies, and activities to support the conduct of activities and delivery of outputs relative to the functions of: a.) Capacity Development; and b.) Project Coordination and Management. It must contain the project timeline for each of the identified tasks. Potential issues, risks and the proposed mitigation plans as appropriate.
Output 2. Project Management Tools such as the Detailed Project Work Plan, which consolidates and synchronizes all consultant individual work plans; Project Monitoring and Reporting System outlining the mechanisms through which activity coordination and progress tracking will be undertaken, and Standardized Templates on output preparation to establish uniform expectations about content and quality of outputs among the consultants; and Internal Output Review Process to outline the procedure for reviewing consultant outputs and securing inputs/vetting from the GGGI and the NDA.
Output 3: Activity Concept Notes and Designs detailing the learning objectives and key concepts, expected outputs, learning methodology and delivery tools, program of activities and session content and input requirements (resource persons, materials and equipment) for each of the following activities: a) Orientation and Training on GCF; b) Intensive Training Workshop on Project Development; and c) National Conference on the GCF.
Output 4: Progress Report 1 from Week 1 to 20, presenting and discussing the overall progress of RPSP-1 and the planned capacity development initiatives, the activities undertaken, outputs achieved and other unexpected results. The report should also elaborate on the issues encountered and how these have been resolved.
Output 5: Comprehensive Written and Video Training Documentation on the GCF Orientation containing the training proceedings including presentations and discussions on a.) CCC policies and guidelines on GCF-related matters, b.) GCF 101, c.) Country Programme for the GCF, d.) use of the Screening and Evaluation Tool (SET) and e.) Concept Note and Funding Proposal appraisal. In preparing this output, the consultant is expected to manage the Print and Video Documenters who will be engaged by this project to ensure that the expected documentation is completed.
Output 6: Set of Customized Training Materials on Project Development. The said training materials will describe the guidelines and procedures on the preparation of Concept Notes (CNs) and Financing Proposals (FPs) in accordance with the Country Programme, the GCF and NDA Guidelines, and relevant references such as the Screening and Evaluation Tool (SET) developed for GCF, National Climate Change Action Plan (NCCAP), Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC), and the National Climate Risk Management Framework (NCRMF), among others;
Output 7: Progress Report 2 from Week 21 to 35, presenting and discussing the overall progress of RPSP-1 and the planned capacity development initiatives, the activities undertaken, outputs achieved and other unexpected results. The report should also elaborate on the issues encountered and how these have been resolved.
Output 8: Comprehensive Written and Video Training Documentation on Project Development. training documentation will contain the training proceedings on the preparation and evaluation of CNs and FPs for GCF funding. In preparing this output, the consultant is expected to manage the Print and Video Documenters who will be engaged by this project to ensure that the expected documentation is completed.
Output 9: Progress Report 3 from Week 36 to 50, presenting and discussing the overall progress of RPSP-1 and the planned capacity development initiatives, the activities undertaken, outputs achieved and other unexpected results. The report should also elaborate on the issues encountered and how these have been resolved.
Output 10: Comprehensive Written and Video Documentation on the National Conference on the GCF containing the conference proceedings on sharing of Philippine experience to access the GCF. In preparing this output, the consultant is expected to manage the Print and Video Documenters who will be engaged by this project to ensure that the expected documentation is completed.
Output 11: Progress Report 4 from Week 51 to 65, presenting and discussing the overall progress of RPSP-1 and the planned capacity development initiatives, the activities undertaken, outputs achieved and other unexpected results. The report should also elaborate on the issues encountered and how these have been resolved.
Output 12: Assignment Completion Report documenting the primary activities undertaken together with the lessons learned and recommendations. The report shall include other secondary tasks that have been conducted by the consultant to meet the objectives of the assignment.
- University degree in relevant discipline (e.g., economics, public policy, sustainable development, climate change adaptation and mitigation, international development and cooperation, natural sciences or a related field); advanced degree will be an advantage;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in the conduct of project management, program and project monitoring and evaluation, institutional and capacity development, including design and implementation of training programs;
- Advanced knowledge of global and domestic climate change issues and initiatives in the areas of green growth;
- Work experience with international organization, national government, local government units, civil society, international organizations will be an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different background;
- Must possess maturity and professional ability to handle sensitive information to respect confidentiality for both GGGI and CCC during and even after the contract period;
- Demonstrated capacity to handle key information in a transparent manner;
- Experience working towards the accreditation of GCF Direct Access Entities is a strong asset;
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and strategic skills;
- Dedicated team player; punctual with excellent time management skill (e.g. even despite the traffic limitation through robust planning);
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills is a must;
- Ability to lead and work effectively with people face-to-face and remotely;
- Ability to work with international setting of working modality, beyond domestic culture;
- Ability to adapt to new ICT tools and systems
The position is subject to the approval of the implementation agreement of RPSP-1 between GGGI and CCC (NDA of the Philippines). The successful applicant would tentatively take up the position from April 2020, with a contract duration of 18 months.