The Department of Civil Engineering within the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at the University of Cape Town has an international reputation for excellence in teaching and research in all major fields of civil engineering, including structural engineering, construction materials, geotechnical engineering, hydraulic engineering, water quality engineering, urban water management, engineering education and transportation studies.
Applications are invited for a full-time academic post in Water Quality Engineering. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Water Quality Engineering as well as in other core undergraduate courses. The candidate should be actively engaged in research in the water field and will be expected to lead and/or join relevant research groups in the Department. In addition, it is expected that the candidate will collaborate with the Faculty-hosted transdisciplinary research institute, Future Water, on research related to sustainable and resilient water management.
For all levels:
- Applicants should hold a BScEng degree and a MScEng degree in Civil Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
For appointment at Lecturer level:
- A PhD in water quality engineering or approaching completion.
- Ability to lecture at undergraduate and postgraduate level
For appointment at Senior Lecturer level:
- A PhD in water quality engineering.
- A growing reputation in the field, as demonstrated by publications and professional contributions.
- Teaching and supervision experience.
For appointment at Associate Professor level:
- A PhD directly related to water quality engineering.
- An outstanding reputation and leadership in the field of water quality engineering, as demonstrated by a track record of publications and high-level professional contributions. Level of appointment will be determined by the reputation and contribution of the applicant.
- Experience in teaching, supervision and curriculum development in applicable courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Experience in teaching postgraduate courses and workshops.
- A track record of research projects, securing funding and research publications.
- Postgraduate supervision record.
- Relevant industrial experience.
- International reputation.
- Professional Engineering registration.
- National Research Foundation rating.
- Experience in management (of courses, staff and/or research projects).
- Teach appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Supervise/co-supervise undergraduate students (research projects) and postgraduate students.
- Conceptualise, execute and publish research in the field of water quality engineering.
- Mentor, supervise and co-supervise Undergraduate, Master’s and Doctoral students.
- Develop/expand research collaborations within UCT as well as nationally and internationally.
- Raise research funding, apply for grants from appropriate national and international funding bodies.
Leadership, management and administration
- Contribute to excellence in the operation of the Water Engineering Masters Programme, by maintaining and growing the reputation of the programme.
- Perform administrative functions at Departmental, Faculty and, if needed, University level.
- Perform administrative functions related to teaching and research projects (i.e. convene courses, manage research teams, manage funding for research, monitor operational expenses, write progress reports.
- Obtain and maintain Professional Engineering registration (if not in possession of this already).
- Social responsiveness
Translate research findings for relevant non-academic audiences.
For further information about the position, please contact the Head of Department, Professor Pilate Moyo via email at [email protected].
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, at the respective levels are as follow:
- Lecturer : R730 510
- Senior Lecturer : R887 294
- Associate Professor : R1, 065 129
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon at [email protected]
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc);
- A letter of motivation; and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. Please indicate which position level you are applying for.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo competency assessments.
Telephone: 021 650 1673 Website: www.civil.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E200203 Closing date: 22 May 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this this post we seek particularly to attract South African candidates from the designated groups.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.