The selected candidate will take on the responsibilities of the Technical Director, Social Behavior Change (SBC) and Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) for the upcoming USAID MOMENTUM project engaged by IMA World Health and consortium members.
Note: Actual hiring is contingent on donor funding that has not been awarded yet.
IMA World Health (IMA) and Lutheran World Relief (LWR) have joined forces to increase our impact on breaking the cycle of poverty and promoting healthier families and communities. The two humanitarian nonprofits are integrating IMA’s global health expertise and LWR’s work in rural economies and emergency response, creating a unified organization that will help millions more enjoy a healthier, more prosperous tomorrow.
LWR & IMA is seeking highly motivated individuals for an SBC and WASH Lead for the USAID MOMENTUM (Moving Integrated, Quality Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health and Family Planning and Reproductive Health) APS Round 1 “MNCH/FP/RH Service Delivery in Fragile Settings.” The $200 million projects seek to support countries early in their journey to self-reliance to overcome the impacts of fragility on the population’s health and contribute to countries’ movement along the development continuum toward reduced maternal and child mortality and increased self-reliance.
The SBC and WASH Lead will provide technical leadership and oversight and will lend technical expertise in SBC and WASH with an emphasis on issues for fragile service delivery.
The position will operate under the leadership of the Senior Technical Director for MNCH/FP/RH and will help oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all SBC and WASH project activities. In collaboration with the project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of SBC and WASH strategies based on scientific evidence.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID and may be based in DC or one of the project target countries.
- Provide technical leadership and strategic direction for SBC and WASH components of the project; understand project vision and objectives while providing leadership to country-level SBC and WASH technical staff.
- Provide SBC and WASH technical leadership and assistance to target countries to develop and implement communication strategies and materials, through all phases from formative research, through design, media and materials production, community mobilization, and evaluation.
- Provide SBC and WASH technical leadership to overall project management, including the development of work plans and budgets, implementation, reporting and M&E, and compliance with the requirements and regulations of the award.
- Identify and oversee the provision of appropriate short- and long-term technical advisors for country activities.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the project HQ team and county-level SBC and WASH technical staff to document successes and lessons learned and use evidence-based learning to guide and improve implementation of SBC and WASH project interventions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with USAID, MOHs, and partners and stakeholders at national sub-national levels
- Master’s degree in public health or related field
- 10 years’ experience in public health, at least five years’ in a technical leadership role specializing in SBC and WASH (experience designing, implementing, and leading social and behavior change campaigns and rural or urban WASH interventions)
- Experience supporting public health projects in fragile settings
- Demonstrated understanding of how to use program learning to contribute to the global public health dialogue
- Experience in humanitarian programming a plus
- Fluent in English, other language proficiency in French and/or Arabic is preferred