UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries’ efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030. The key 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.
UNDP focuses on helping countries build and share solutions in three main areas:
- Sustainable development
- Democratic governance and peacebuilding
- Climate and disaster resilience
In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
INTERNSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUND
The climate change and energy portfolio in UNDP Malaysia provides policy advisory and implementation support to catalyse low-carbon and climate resilient development in Malaysia. The portfolio focuses on climate change mitigation, climate change adaptation and sustainable energy. Projects under the climate change and energy portfolio include, among others:
- Green Technology Application for the Development of Low Carbon Cities (GTALCC) Project, which supports the scaling up of low carbon initiatives and removing of barriers to integrated low carbon urban planning and development in Malaysian cities;
- Biennial Update Reports and National Communications Projects, which supports the preparation of the national greenhouse gas inventory and national climate change reports in fulfilment of requirements under the United Nations Framework on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Climate Promise Project, which supports Malaysia in improving the clarity, transparency and understanding of its climate pledge, and the updating of Malaysia’s Nationally Determined Contribution for submission to the UNFCCC in 2020; and
- Strengthening School Preparedness for Tsunamis Project, which strengthens the preparedness and awareness of schools to tsunamis and earthquakes.
UNDP Malaysia is seeking to recruit an intern to support the climate change and energy portfolio. The intern will work under the supervision of the Environment Analyst (Climate Change and Energy) in close collaboration with other portfolio teams in UNDP Malaysia and government partners.