Water and Sanitation expert needed for Covid-19 intervention in Mumbai
Vacancy: Mission Technical Referent WATSAN
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / Doctors without Borders
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare.
We have been present in India since 1999 providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, antibiotic resistance, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
COVID-19 emergency intervention
Today we are facing a new global challenge. MSF teams are racing to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic in over 70 countries, including opening new projects in areas that are becoming pandemic hotspots. In India, Mumbai is as of now considered as one of the biggest hot-spot in the country. The rising number of confirmed cases especially in the slum areas requires more focused approaches and interventions.
Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) decided to start an emergency intervention to support and strengthen COVID response in M East Ward by focusing on:
• Disease prevention in Govandi slum (health promotion, Water and Sanitation);
• Management of COVID-19 ward for mild to moderate cases (50 – 100 beds)
Monthly Gross Salary: INR 81,415 and
Secondary Benefits (pro rata) as per policies:
• 13th Month Salary / Festival Bonus
• 18 Annual Leaves
• 12 Casual Leaves
• Other compassionate leaves
• Medical Reimbursement including dependents
• Personal Accidental Insurance including dependents
Qualifications: Academic background in WASH, environmental sciences, civil engineering, environmental engineering or an equivalent relevant training in WASH.
Experience: Previous MSF experience as a WatSan is an asset, preferably in low income countries
Languages: English, local language is an asset (Hindi and/or Marathi)
Main purpose of the role
Leading the WatSan activities in the mission, providing technical guidance and ensuring the correct implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the overall content of all WatSan programs in the country, its national policies, guidelines and common practices, in accordance with MSF protocols, standards and policies in order to optimize the mission’s response to the needs of the target population and ensure an optimal running of the project.
• In collaboration with the Country Management Team (CMT), and the WatSan Advisor, being responsible at mission level for the supervision and monitoring of the WatSan activities, ensuring that the works are done following MSF protocols, national policies and state regulations and project specifications.
• Elaborating the WatSan strategies and activities for the country and / or mission, ensuring compliance with essential WatSan requirements, in order to prioritize objectives and plan activities accordingly.
• Planning and organizing, in collaboration with the Emergency coordinator regarding the different WASH related activities in the community: identifying gaps and working towards solutions.
Specific responsibilities for COVID-19 intervention:
• Planning and organizing, in collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator and Medical Coordinator, the mission WatSan strategy in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
• Implementation of the infection prevention and control (IPC) standard operating procedures for the whole mission.
• Organizing IPC training for staff.
• Acting as the focal point for the order, purchase and stock of WatSan items In collaboration with the LogCo, MedCo and SupplyCo.
Duration: 3 Months (Renewable depending upon project needs)
Expected Start Date: asap
To apply please email your CV and motivation letter with the subject Ref: Mission Technical Referent WATSAN.
To: [email protected] by 11th of May 2020 5:00 pm. ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED AND INVITED FOR INTERVIEW www.msfindia.in
Full generic job description: http://irffg.msf.org/oc/ocb/jobs/lm01501-mission-technical-referent-watsan?locale=en