Water and Sanitation (Watsan) Technician
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) / Doctors without Borders
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare.
We have been present in India since 1999 providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, antibiotic resistance, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
COVID-19 emergency intervention
Today we are facing a new global challenge. MSF teams are racing to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic in over 70 countries, including opening new projects in areas that are becoming pandemic hotspots. In India, Mumbai is as of now considered as one of the biggest hot-spot in the country. The rising number of confirmed cases especially in the slum areas requires more focused approaches and interventions.
MSF / Doctors Without Borders decided to start an emergency intervention to support and strengthen COVID response in M East Ward by focusing on:
– Disease prevention in Govandi slum (health promotion, Water and Sanitation);
– Management of COVID-19 ward for mild to moderate cases (50 – 100 beds)
Main purpose of the role
Supporting in the implementation, monitoring, maintaining, and trouble-shooting of Water Hygiene Sanitation activities and infrastructure in the project according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to improve health and living conditions of the target population.
The Watsan Technician will be mainly assigned for the community activities in the Govandi slum (disease prevention by doing health promotion and water and sanitation works).
• Carrying out tasks directly related to the Watsan activities such as construction and maintenance of infrastructures in the project according to MSF protocols and standards concerning the operation of water supply, waste management and excreta disposal, hygiene and infection control.
• Ensuring the cleaning and maintenance of the Watsan structures and when applicable, of the medical facilities;
• Identifying, recruiting, training and supervising daily labourers or hygiene agents for Watsan activities
• Informing the Watsan Supervisor of any difficulties, anomalies and problems that may affect the normal functioning of activities and tasks in his/her area of responsibility;
• Assisting the Watsan Supervisor in Watsan data collection and reporting, as well as maintaining updated files and records of assigned project activities
• Being responsible for equipment, tools, and consumables, verifying that they are safely used and maintained. Reporting to the supervisor any need of renewal and the weekly/monthly consumption
Specific responsibilities for COVID-19 intervention
• In collaboration with the Mission Watsan referent guarantee the WASH activities in the Govandi Slum intervention;
• In collaboration with the Watsan Mission referent in charge of the Slum Latrines Rehabilitation and Maintenance;
• In collaboration with the Mission Watsan referent and the HP team, contribute to the slum population hygiene promotion;
• The Watsan Technician can be deployed in any other WASH activities inside the Covid19 intervention.
Monthly Gross Salary: INR 27,644 and
Secondary Benefits (pro rata) as per policies:
• 13th Month Salary / Festival Bonus
• 18 Annual Leaves
• 12 Casual Leaves
• Other compassionate leaves
• Medical Reimbursement including dependents
• Personal Accidental Insurance including dependents
Qualifications: Technical certification or proven background, desirable specialization in water and sanitation
Experience: Previous experience in technical works
As this recruitment is for a specific emergency response on COVID-19, it is important that staff only apply for this position if they do not have one of the major risk factors for COVID namely existing cardiac complications, diabetes, hypertension, pregnancy or age > 50 years.
Duration: 3 Months (Renewable depending upon project needs)
Location: Mumbai Expected Start Date: asap
Due to the current lockdown and the urgency of this position, it is important that applicants live in or around Mumbai. We arrange transportation for our staff.
To apply please email your CV and motivation letter with the subject Ref:
To: [email protected] by 11th of
May 2020 5:00 pm.
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED AND INVITED FOR INTERVIEW