The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization which works as a solutions broker to accelerate action and support for climate adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future.
The GCA will set up and produce a series of annual flagship reports over a period of five years (2020-2024), under the title State and Trends in Adaptation Report, which targets an audience of global and national policy makers, the private sector, adaptation practitioners and the expert community. The reports will reflect both the present-day and recent historical changes leading up to the current state but will also look ahead at the main developments expected around the world in adaptation-policy development, implementation, finance, knowledge as well at the key indicators of impacts, vulnerability and adaptive capacity over the next decades.
We are looking for two motivated and dynamic individuals to fill the role of Research Assistant. The two specific roles are Research Assistant – Data Analysis and Tools and Research Assistant – Interlinkages between Adaptation, Mitigation and SDGs. The Research Assistants work as core team members driving forward the GCA’s role as a knowledge provider and broker in the field of climate change adaptation.
The Research Assistants will report to the Chief Scientist while working closely with other senior and junior members of the Knowledge and Education Hub of the GCA, located in the city of Groningen, the Netherlands. The Research Assistants will play a key role in positioning the GCA as the foremost international organization specialising in climate change adaptation while contributing to a set of knowledge deliverables to be launched on an annual basis.
- Conduct and support research and analysis on climate change issues and develop knowledge material on specific topics related with climate adaptation, specifically:
– for the position of Research Assistant with a specific focus on Interlinkages between Adaptation, Mitigation and SDGs, defining and tracking adaptation key concepts, analyses of national indicators, analysis of the role of the private sector in the context of national adaptation and map projected changes in risk indicators against adaptive capacity.
– for the position of Research Assistant with a specific focus on Data Analysis and Tools, integrating the latest science and quantitative data alongside qualitative data available on climate change adaptation progress and make knowledge, assessment tools and data publicly available through a dedicated online platform
- Support the development of a wide range of written products on key climate adaptation topics, including scientific papers, policy briefs, reports, rapid-response statements, op-eds, and social media posts;
- Conduct literature reviews, communication of research findings, fact-checking and editing documents, produce tables, charts, and maps for reports and write summaries of research procedures and results;
- Develop expertise in assigned areas of responsibility;
- Perform light administrative tasks related with research activities such as tracking project timelines, reporting, data entry, taking and meeting minutes, and other tasks as assigned.
- Master’s degree in environmental sciences or related fields;
- At least one year of professional experience in climate policy or a related field;
- Excellent research and analytical skills and quantitative skills;
- Essential software skills for data analysis and visualization (candidates should specify relevant software skills in the application);
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English;
- Experience of working in international/intercultural environments;
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, enabling stakeholder knowledge to be effectively disseminated and shared within the research team;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a team setting.
What we offer:
The GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. The post will be located at the GCA’s office in Groningen, the Netherlands on a full-time basis (32-40 hours per week). The contract duration will initially be 12 months, with the possibility of renewal. The position is linked to a total monthly income in the range of € 2,000 (junior) to € 4,000 (senior), inclusive of holiday and pension allowances.
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please follow this link https://gca.recruitee.com/o/research-assistant and upload your short motivation letter and your CV before 10 May 2020, mentioning the job position and your preference for the Research Assistant – Data Analysis and Tools or the Research Assistant – Interlinkages between Adaptation, Mitigation and SDGs, if any. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available and inform us if you have a work permit for the Netherlands.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
The GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for forwarding this vacancy to persons who might be interested.