Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Transport and Communications (SETC) Division within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. SETC is responsible for policy dialogue, portfolio development, oversight of execution strategy, knowledge management, budget management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work and most loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the transport sector. Tasks include infrastructure development, operations and management of roads, railways, urban transport, ports, airports, and multimodal transport; regional cooperation and integration; safety and security; environment management; and energy efficiency; among others.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The [Senior] Safeguards Specialist (Environment) will lead the team in SETC to support the processing and implementation of ADB loan/grant financed projects for the transport sector in SERD developing member countries (DMCs) from Headquarters. The incumbent will also monitor, identify, and resolve environmental issues and trends emerging from SETC portfolio of projects, including contributing to transport sector strategy and programming in SERD DMCs. The incumbent will also ensure compliance with ADB’s Safeguards Policy Statement (2009), Safeguard Requirements 1 (Environment), as well as quality and consistency of environmental safeguards documents. The incumbent will report to Director, SETC and will supervise one or more National and Administrative Staff.
• As a project processing team mission member, actively supports Project Team Leaders (PTLs) in complying with ADB’s environmental safeguard requirements and related communication and disclosure policies in project processing, including identifying issues/impacts and necessary studies, proposing categorization, scoping and defining terms of reference for environmental assessments, and coordinating the environmental assessment process.
• Works with government counterparts and provide guidance in formulating environmental safeguard planning documents (e.g., environmental assessment and review frameworks, environmental assessment documents).
• Within project teams, takes primary responsibility for obtaining ADB (and DMC domestic, as needed) environmental safeguard compliance approvals, including for initial environmental categorization, project concept paper, management consideration, and Board consideration.
• As a project administration team mission member, supervises the implementation of environmental management requirements of projects, advise on environmental safeguard compliance risks of environmentally sensitive and complex projects, and identify necessary corrective actions.
• Leads the coordination of environmental safeguard risk management for the portfolio of transport sector projects in SERD DMCs, in compliance with ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement, including participating in project review missions, addressing non-compliances, and responding to documentation/reporting requirements of Office of the Special Project Facilitator and inspection panels.
• Identifies opportunities for ADB assistance aimed at operationalizing policies on environmental safeguards; community and occupational health and safety; climate change; resource-efficiency; and other environmental dimensions.
• Provides portfolio-wide environment-related input to Portfolio Management and Action Plans.
• Takes the lead in climate change risk screening; supervises in-depth climate risk and vulnerability assessments; coordinates development of climate change assessment; and monitors implementation of climate adaptation and mitigation elements for the transport sector projects and programs in SERD DMCs.
• Contributes to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to ADB’s safeguard policies.
• Supports administration of technical assistance (TA) and other training programs for capacity building related to environmental safeguards.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree or equivalent in Environmental Engineering, Environment Sciences, or other related fields; University degree in Environmental Engineering, Environment Sciences, or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
• At least 8/10 years of relevant professional experience in environmental safeguards, environmental impact assessment and management, and environmental policy.
• Demonstrated experience in analyzing environmental, health and safety issues associated with infrastructure development projects, and operational experience in the preparation and implementation of such projects.
• International experience working in the Southeast Asian region, preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Sound expertise in specific area (preferably one of the following areas/sectors: biodiversity impact assessment; noise/air quality impact modeling; strategic environmental impact assessment; environmental and social management systems for Financial Intermidiaries; safeguard instruments for green bonds; or similar)
• Experience applying knowledge in diverse international settings and/or experience working in multilateral development banks (MDBs).
• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive project member.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.