Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in India Residence Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
To provide technical and operational support on environmental safeguards to India Resident Mission’s (INRM’s) overall projects within the framework of ADB’s policies and guidelines. The position will also assist in portfolio management and administer loans and technical assistance (TA) projects. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff.
• Assists in providing environmental review and technical support to project officers, including participation in review mission as environment expert, to enhance project quality and safeguard compliance in public sector and private sector operations in India.
• Assists in undertaking analytical reviews, and data compilation/management on environmental aspects of ADB operations in India.
• Assists in undertaking reviews on environmental monitoring reports for ongoing projects in India.
• Assists in conducting awareness training programs on environmental management and safeguards for the Resident Mission (RM) staff, executing agencies, and other concerned parties.
• Participates in TA/ loan processing missions to assist/ conduct initial environment examination (IEE) and environment impact assessment (EIA).
• Participates in loan review/supervision missions to assist/assess compliance on ADB’s environment guidelines, recommendations in EIA and related loan covenants and address implementation issues identified by the executing agencies (EAs).
• Interacts with government, civil society, other international/local organizations, and other project stake-holders under guidance of senior staff.
• Assists in undertaking sector assessment and provides the RM staff concerned appropriate advice on environment policy and intuitional reforms.
• Assists the senior staff in preparing annual contract awards and disbursement projections for environment projects and monitors achievements from time to time with a view to achieve the projection targets.
• Participates in the annual country portfolio and program review mission and assists in conducting country portfolio reviews as necessary.
• Assists in preparing project briefing papers and seminar papers as required.
• Assists in preparing project and technical assistance completion reports.
• Undertakes any related assignments as requested by Country Director or a designated International Staff (IS) /senior National Staff.
• Coordinates relevant report preparation within INRM in consultations with other departments/offices concerned under guidance of senior staff.
• Assists the senior staff in ensuring that required reports are produced and submitted on time, in the appropriate form and as complete and accurate as necessary.
• Assists in providing background analysis of problems encountered, in consultation with concerned officer, of projects classified “At Risk”. Shares insights on resolving complex issues.
• Reviews, analyzes, and consolidates reports on status of ongoing loans and TA projects, and achievement of intended outputs/goals and provides inputs to the senior staff.
• Assists senior staff in providing environmental safeguards related inputs for Project Completion Review/Technical Assistance Completion Report (PCR/TCR) programs and consults with concerned officers on reasons for deviations and proposed courses of action to meet targets.
• Assists in monitoring compliance of updating project/program reports and Technical Assistance (TA) reports and their respective Project Information Documents and ensures updating takes place as scheduled.
• Supports the timely posting of Environment Safeguard Monitoring Report of assigned projects on the ADB website.
• Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental sciences, and/or Environmental Management, or related fields, preferably with advanced training.
• At least 6 years of relevant professional experience
• Experience in ADB or World Bank-funded projects is an advantage.
• Good knowledge of policy and regulatory framework for environmental management in India, and environmental standards and good practices. A sound working knowledge in ecology and biodiversity conservation related areas would be an added advantage.
• Ability to research, analyze and check data from external and internal sources, reconcile or explain inconsistencies and perform statistical calculations.
• Proficiency in database management method.
• High level of proficiency in use of the Internet and standard ADB computer applications.
• Awareness of ADB’s environmental safeguards policies and sound knowledge in wide range of areas including project processing, administration, accounting and general administration.
• Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
• Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.