The Arab region is particularly susceptible to climate change, with temperatures rising faster than the global average. Moreover, it is also one of the most-water scarce and food-import dependent region in the world. These vulnerabilities have contributed to various forms of social unrest, exacerbated conflicts, and driven the displacement of large numbers of people.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, and the Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction have stressed that for development to be sustainable and resilient to shocks, it must integrate climate change into short-term responses, and long-term planning.
Against this background, multiple UN agencies (UNDP, UNEP-FI, WFP, UN-Habitat, UNDRR) together with the League of Arab States and the Arab Water Council have initiated a regional project (the SDG-Climate Facility Project) that aims to enhance the capacity of regional and national institutions to address climate change in a way that brings benefits across multiple goals, while also reducing the impacts of conflict and crises. Through joint action, the project will: a) promote integrated solutions for climate action that brings benefits across the SDGs, and crisis and recovery efforts; and b) scale up local partnerships and finance towards those efforts. The programme was launched in January 2019 and is scheduled to end in December 2022.
As the Project enters its second year of implementation, the Project team is looking to bring on board a Regional Project Officer who will assist the Project team to ensure the project is delivered in high quality. Under the guidance of the Chief Technical Advisor and Project Manager. S/he will be responsible to support the project on financial planning and reporting, as well as monitoring, reporting, and evaluation to ensure the targets and results are met in appropriate timeframe and with the highest quality.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor/Project Manage, the incumbent will provide substantive and project management and implementation support to the SDG-Climate Facility Project: Climate Action for Human Security project, and will work as an integral part of the project team in close cooperation with other teams within the Regional Programme and the Amman Regional Hub.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Project team focal point to coordinate with all partners, as well as with relevant UNDP MSU and relevant country offices for project planning and results reporting (Project implementation & results Monitoring);
- Support project implementation at the regional level, and with relevant Country Offices to enable efficient delivery and process oversight (Programme delivery & Operational processes oversight); and
- Coordinate and support follow up on partner’s workplans and donor report requirements. (Workplans & donors reports).
Project team focal point to coordinate with all partners, as well as with relevant UNDP MSU and relevant country offices for project planning and results reporting (Project implementation & results Monitoring):
- Support smooth project delivery by facilitating budget planning, budget planning, utilisation, expenditures delivery and monitoring, in particular for Country Offices that are receiving the Resilience Grants. This will be done in close collaboration with UNDP Country Offices and relevant units at the Regional Hub in Amman, and the Programme Support Unit in Beirut;
- Provide the necessary technical assistance and guidance to the Project team, regional partners, and relevant UNDP COs to ensure activity implementation is on track as planned;
- Identify potential issues related to programme implementation, and propose remedial measures to take timely corrective action;
- Efficient results monitoring against the approved workplans and the overall expected results in each milestone indicated in the programme’s logical framework;
- Support the CTA/Project Manager to facilitate timely and smooth allocation of donor contributions to the programme, and monitor effectively key financial milestones; and
- Support the CTA/Project Manager, and coordinate with relevant UNDP Amman Regional Hub to develop annual reports, including budget related reports are detail-oriented, and prepared to the highest quality, according to agreed timelines.
Support project implementation at the regional level, and with relevant Country Offices to enable efficient delivery and process oversight (Programme delivery & Operational processes oversight):
- Ensure that the programme’s business process are undertaken in full compliance with UNDP rules, regulations and policies;
- Build and maintain good internal relationship with relevant staff at UNDP Country Offices, relevant teams at the Regional Hub in Amman, as well as the Programme Support Unit in Beirut to ensure the smooth coordination and proper operational process. This includes coordinating with the necessary colleagues to process and, where applicable, execute administrative, travel arrangements and procurement processes and sharing knowledge and necessary information with all team members, including updates or changes to existing policies.
- Support the efficient implementation of the work-plan, including drafting Terms of Reference for consultants;
- Follow-up on and act as the Project Focal Point on timely procurement of services and goods i.e. consultants and other related positions and recruitments; keep track of the Project’s procurement plan and ensure it is well-monitored and regularly updated; and
- Take the lead role in organizing and executing workshops, meetings, and large conferences in full compliance with UNDP’s practice, rules and regulation. This includes all travel arrangements for internal and external participants, stakeholders as required.
Coordinate and support follow up on partner’s workplans and donor report requirements. (Workplans & donors reports):
- Support effective work plan monitoring especially at key milestone of activities and ensure efficient production of progress reports and financial report based on the raw data from UNDP’s ATLAS system; establish a user-friendly, project level system to track and monitor work plan and its budget utilization;
- Coordinate effectively UNDP’s internal process to obtain necessary clearance and approvals;
- Follow up on required reports and their submission, both within UNDP and outside UNDP, in a timely manner with inputs from relevant team members for review by CTA/Project Manager;
- Support the team members for the effective development of the project work-plan, including efficient implementation of all activities in close collaboration with regional partners, and relevant UNDP Country Offices; and
- Support the development of relevant progress reports, and other relevant documents in line with UNDP’s Results Based Management approach for submission to various parts of UNDP, as well as with donors, and other partners as applicable.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member; and
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis;
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts;
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues; and
- Analysis and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products;
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things; and
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis;
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things; and
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments; and
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships;
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines; and
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, Development Studies, Climate Change, Social Science or related area of study.
- Over ten years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to poject/programme management – in particular the delivery and implementation field – in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic language – in both written and oral – is required.
Additional skills requirements:
- Professional experience in the usage computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of web-based management systems are required;
- Excellent and proven project related responsibilities, including reporting, progamme implementation and financial management is required;
- Experience in and knowledge of sustainable development, climate change, and related issues is an asset;
- Extensive and proven knowledge of UNDP’s policies; procedures and practices including familiarity of ATLAS operational system;
- Experience and knowledge in Results-based management is desirable;
- Experience of liaising with donor partners, and national and regional stakeholders is desirable.
- Jordanian or residents of the duty station (Jordan) and have been accorded legal working statues by the government.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.