Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
IFC is looking for a dynamic, motivated, and detail-oriented professional with strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills to provide support to Middle East and Africa (MEA) CEG team, clients, investment and advisory teams on environmental risk management vis-à-vis IFC Performance Standards with the aim of promoting compliance with IFC’s E&S standards and enhanced impact and additionality of IFC-supported investments and advisory mandates.
Scope of Work/Job Description
The work to be undertaken is described below and will include:
- Provide technical advice and support on environmental risks and impacts in new investments and select advisory engagements.
- Undertake Environmental and Social (E&S) due diligence of IFC’s proposed investments:
- gathering and analyzing available information to identify gaps against specific Performance Standards for assigned projects;
- identification and proposition of appropriate mitigation measures for risks and impacts;
- production of high-quality work products that clearly and logically frame risk mitigation; and
- identification of opportunities for value-add in project structure, including providing IFC clients with guidance in establishing E&S Management Systems to ensure compliance with IFC E&S requirements;
- Maintain an oversight of a personal portfolio of appraisal and supervision clients.
- Proactively monitor the environmental performance of multiple portfolio clients
- Coordinate supervision efforts with Regional Team Lead(s); provide input to portfolio analysis and trends at portfolio management reviews.
- Identify and validate potential for new E&S advisory and market development opportunities, help define required steps to reach market potential, and create appropriate timeline for IFC E&S intervention and engagement.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of learning programs on sustainability and environment risk management for IFC clients and investment staff, as well as working on the development of tools, checklists and guidelines to improve efficiencies of project processing and enable improved client management of environmental and social issues.
- Provide support to the leadership team in mentoring junior specialists; and
- Assist IFC staff with business development, to ensure the environmental issues are addressed early in the process.
- Graduate/Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in relevant discipline (e.g. environmental, social sciences, science, engineering);
- Minimum of ten years working experience, preferably in the assessment and management of environmental and/or social impacts for financial intermediaries;
- Knowledge of IFC’s Sustainability Framework and Performance Standards;
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse information sources, and draw conclusions from sometimes limited data;
- Exemplary project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadlines;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and spoken; ability to communicate in other languages will be an advantage;
- Work experience in one or more Middle East and/or African countries and ability to travel extensively in the region; and
- Ability to operate as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team