UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a better future…
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The PSB is tasked with facilitating sectoral coordination and development, revision of policy and strategy document to foster an enabling environment for WASH sector. As part of its strategic upstream support to the sector, the GOB-UNICEF 2020-2021 Rolling work plan includes provision of technical assistance for some PSB activities viz. harnessing the required political will, generating technical and policy level stakeholder buy in, re-establishing and operationalizing the defunct thematic groups, resource mobilization and technical support for the implementation of sector wide strategies and approaches. Government created this branch under the Water Supply wing of Local Government Division (LGD). Currently only one senior level staff from the Local Government Division is assigned without any other manpower to carryout gigantic takes of WASH sector development and coordination. In this connection UNICEF is supporting PSB to enhancing its capacity for sector coordination and capacity building of sector stakeholders by providing a full-time consultant who will be housed in PSB, DPHE.
- Sector coordination meetings held regularly (at least 2 LCG meetings, 2 thematic Group meetings for each thematic group, 1 National Forum for WSS meeting, 1 technical Support Committee, 1 Policy Support Committee meetings etc.) in time. In context of COVID 19 pandemic use online flatform for conducting continue sector coordination, harmonized and uninterrupted WASH service delivery.
- PSB take lead for revision of Sector Development Plan (SDP) 2011-2025, water sanitation policy 1998 and development of operation & maintenance guideline for WASH facilities with technical and financial support from UNICEF.
- Support revision of the national hygiene promotion Strategy-2012 for WSS sector in Bangladesh with technical and financial support from WaterAid
- Support development of national action plan for IRF-FSM implementation (City Corporation & Mega City Dhaka) with technical and financial support from ITN/BMGF
- Support development of national MHM strategy for Bangladesh developed with technical and finical assistance from UNICEF
- Dissemination of key policies and strategies document revised/developed by PSB among the stakeholders and representatives of LGIs
- Organize and facilitate orientation workshops to the WASH sector professionals, LGI representatives on newly developed and revised key policies and stargates for its implementation (@20 orientation workshops, seminar etc.)
- PSB action plan/meeting calendar developed, issuing meeting notice/circular, meeting minutes, working paper etc. in time. 22 days
- Progress report prepared, issuing meeting notices, meeting minutes and facilitating organization of working committee meetings, preparing ToR for hiring agencies/individual consultants to carry out above assignment, provide necessary information and data as and when required, preparing consolidated feedback from PSB. 44 days
- Progress report prepared, provide consolidated feedback from PSB, organizing working committee meetings, stakeholders’ consultations and issuances of meeting circulars, minutes and arranging water sanitation Forum meeting by preparing working paper and issuance of government order for its endorsement and dissemination. 33 days
- Progress report prepared, organization meetings, preparing working committee meeting minutes, providing consolidated feedback from LGD and PSB on the document. 22 days
- Progress report prepared, organization meetings, preparing meeting minutes, providing consolidated feedback from LGD and PSB on the document. 22 days
- PSB annual report prepared, printing and proof reading of the document, organizing workshop/ seminar/ conference at division, district and national level. 11 days
- PSB annual report prepared. 22 days
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in one of the following areas: Social Science or Public Health Engineering, Business Administration or a field relevant to WASH related development assistance.
- At least 8 years’ experience in development field, preferably in the water and sanitation sector (UN or development agency, donor, government regulatory body, academic institution or the private sector);
- Well conversant with policies and strategies of the water supply and sanitation sector in Bangladesh;
- Extensive experience in organizing and facilitating meetings/workshops/seminars;
- Familiarization with the policy environment of Bangladesh, the challenges within the WASH sector and the capacities of various stakeholders, would be considered an asset.
- Good interpersonal, leadership and management skills in implementing multi-party development projects.
- Working experience with donors funded Government projects/organization/international NGOs.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Opening Date Tue Apr 28 2020 11:00:00 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time) Bangladesh Standard Time
Closing Date Wed May 13 2020 19:55:00 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)