15 PhD/Early Stage Researchers (ESR) positions available – DEADLINE (first-round): May 31st, 2020
The European Training Network RIBES “River flow regulation, fish BEhaviour and Status”, funded by the European Commission under the EU Horizon 2020 programme Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Network (Grant no. 860800), announces the following 15 positions for Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) giving the opportunity of being awarded a Doctoral Degree, with innovative complementary training activities and attractive travel, laboratory and research opportunities.
The ESRs will be trained by international leaders in the interdisciplinary field of Ecohydraulics to find innovative solutions for freshwater fish protection and river continuity restoration in anthropogenically altered rivers.
The positions are offered full-time for 3 years (36-months)
Gross salary: living allowance 3.270* €/month (39.240* €/year) + mobility allowance 600 €/month (7.200 €/year) (+ 6.000 €/year family allowance if applicable)
* multiplied by country correction coefficient of the country where the researcher is recruited; the gross salary is subject to compulsory deductions following applicable national regulations of the country in which the researcher is recruited (such as social security contributions and direct taxes)
Starting date is negotiable with the host institution in the second semester 2020 (from June to December 2020), also taking into account potential travel restrictions related to COVID-19. Enrollment in the Doctoral Schools is foreseen by December 2020.
><> ><> ><> ><>
><> ><> ><> ><>
MSCA ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The 15 PhD positions are open to applicants of all nationalities fulfilling, in addition to the specific requirements outlined in each ESR project description (eligible Degrees, specific mandatory skills, specific requirements of the Doctoral School), the following MSCA eligibility criteria:
- (ESR rule) at the date of recruitment, shall be in their first 4 years of research career (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date of obtainment of the Degree entitling enrollment in a Doctoral School either in the country in which it was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited) and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. Candidates not yet graduated by the call deadline (with BSc/MSc Degree foreseen at the latest by July 31st, 2020) can apply to ESR01, ESR04, ESR05, ESR07, ESR08, ESR09, ESR12, ESR13 and ESR14.
- (Mobility rule) must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution hosting the ESR project for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
- (English language) must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high for them to derive the full benefit from the network training.
><> ><> ><> ><>
Deadline (first round): May 31st, 2020
Download the Call and the Application Form here.
Candidates can select up to three ESR positions (ranked in preference order)
CAREFULLY CHECK MOBILITY RULE, ELIGIBLE DEGREES AND SPECIFIC MANDATORY SKILLS SPECIFIED FOR EACH SELECTED ESR PROJECT BEFORE APPLYING
Candidates must fulfil and sign the Application Form including the following documentation:
- Motivation letter: (max 2 pages, in English) containing research interests, main skills, career plans and the reasons for applying to the selected ESR positions
- CV: curriculum vitae in English using Europass CV format describe candidate’s compliance to the specific mandatory and desirable skills specified for the selected ESR position(s). Carefully list all the periods of full-time research experience, if any, from the date of obtainment of your Degree entitling enrollment in the selected Doctoral School(s) in order to demonstrate full compliance to the MSCA Eligibility Criteria for ESRs.
- Passport/ID card: Copy Passport or national ID card
- References: Names and email addresses of at least two academics who have agreed to provide a letter of recommendation and/or being contacted by a representative of the network regarding the candidate application
- Degree: Copy of your most recent Degree certificate (BSc or MSc) and related academic transcripts. For candidates from EU Countries the Diploma Supplement is recommended
- English language (candidates from non-English speaking countries): copy of English language certificates, if available (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS). If applicable, refer to the specific requirements of the Doctoral Schools of the selected ESR positions
- Other (optional): other documentation considered useful to demonstrate your compliance to the specific mandatory and desirable skills specified for the selected ESR positions and your motivation towards research in the Ecohydraulics field
The signed Application Form and all the above documentation shall be produced as a single PDF document (the PDF file name must include the candidate last name and reference to the selected ESR position(s) – e.g. Smith_ESR01-02-12.pdf)
The PDF file must be submitted by email to [email protected] by May 31st, 2020 at 18:00 CET
><> ><> ><> ><>
Applications including all the required documentation received within the above deadline will be processed by the RIBES Recruitment Committee and submitted to the selection panels set up for each ERS position.
The selection procedure carried out by each panel will be based on the following steps:
- preliminary compliance check with the MSCA eligibility criteria and the specific requirements of the ESR project (Degree, Specific mandatory skills, Specific requirements of the Doctoral School)
- screening of all the applications received and candidates shortlisting based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project
- interviews (Skype or other) of shortlisted candidates
- (optional) contacts with the reference academics indicated by the shortlisted candidates
- final selection and recruitment of the successful candidate
Prior to recruitment, a final compliance check with the MSCA eligibility criteria and the specific requirements of the ESR project will be carried out. Incorrect or lacking documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
><> ><> ><> ><>
Before applying, please read the following documents: