The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federal German enterprise and supports the German Government to achieve its policy objectives in international cooperation and sustainable development. The department International Services is an integral part of GIZ and provides its services to international clients such as the EU, bi- and multilateral organisations, national governments as well as private sector companies.
Currently, GIZ International Services is preparing to bid for a new water governance programme in Pakistan funded by the Department for International Development (DFID) of the United Kingdom.
The overall objective of the project is to support Pakistan strengthen its water governance at national and provincial levels and can adapt to climate change while ensuring environmental sustainability.
The indicative activities are to:
- build Government water data management and capacity through technical assistance;
- support the Government in regulatory frameworks for protecting water resources and environment;
- improve awareness and accountability for sustainable use of water through civil society engagement and
- provide robust research and innovations – specifically those targeting improved resilience.
Due to the breadth and diversity of the indicative activities, as well as the multidisciplinary nature of the programme, several roles with different specialisations are planned. According to the specific areas of focus, we are looking for experts with professional background, among others, in the fields of Water and Groundwater Policy, National and Transboundary Water Law, Wastewater Policy, Irrigation, River Basin Management, Hydrological Modelling and Data Visualisation, the Political Economy of the Water Sector, and Integrated Water Resource Management.
Depending on the specific role, the tasks may include:
- advising on the legal dimensions of water policy at a national and/or provincial level;
- cooperating with a broad range of stakeholders in pursuit of project objectives;
- providing technical support and guidance to strengthen the respective national and/or provincial government departments;
- supporting the development of national and/or provincial regulatory frameworks, strategies and policies as well as the enactment of laws and regulations in the areas of integrated water resource management, community-supported agriculture, ground- and surface-water resources and
- providing advice and direction on strategic and policy issues.
Required minimum qualifications and skills:
- At least a master’s degree in a relevant discipline e.g. water sector or infrastructure engineering, water/natural resource management, water law and policy, public policy, economics (doctorate preferred).
- Excellent communication and knowledge transfer skills.
- Excellent command of English and Urdu, command of regional languages would be considered an asset.
- A record of adhering to the highest standards of professional good conduct throughout your career, including but not limited to integrity, inclusion and equality, and safeguards, as per the minimum required standards of GIZ, and specifically for DFID-funded programmes. Potential candidates are advised that a multi-step screening process for shortlisted candidates will be part of the procedure.
Required general professional experience:
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in the water sector in Pakistan. This may include public or private sector roles, including in the international aid and cooperation sector; of which at least 7 years working in institutional reform, capacity building and policy development of Pakistani state institutions, preferably on national and provincial levels.
- At least 7 years of experience working in the water sector in Pakistan in a role with responsibilities relevant for the programme.
- A strong and relevant network with key institutions, companies and/or organisations in the water sector in Pakistan, either at a provincial or a national level. A combination of experience and network at both a provincial and national level is considered a strong asset.
Required specific professional experience:
- Demonstrated understanding of water policies and user- and ownership rights at national and provincial level in Pakistan is required.
- A strong record of accomplishment in integrated water resources management approaches is a strong asset.
- Proven macro-level experience with and understanding of the Pakistani political landscape, especially in the water sector, and including a sound understanding of the provincial-national and intra-provincial dynamics of water politics is required.
Please note that DFID has not yet published the detailed Terms of Reference for the project. Therefore, location, start date and duration of the assignment as well as tasks and requirements may be subject to change.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.