To provide specialist expertise on Environmental Assessment on a wide range of NRW projects and strategies. You will be required to lead on environmental assessment of projects including metal mine remediation projects, flood risk management projects, habitat restoration projects, fish pass projects. Through environmental assessment you will identify risks and opportunities that need to be considered in the appraisal, design and delivery of projects. You will also support the EAT in screening a wide range of internal projects for environmental assessment. Support on Strategic Environmental Assessment of plans such as the Flood Risk Management Plan and Area Statements will also be required. You will work on project teams with colleagues from across the business, as well as working as part of our EAT to ensure consistent and proportionate approaches.
Applying for this post:
The following categories will be used to assess the quality of applications both at sift and interview. Please read the whole of the Role Description to ascertain at what level this information needs to be presented.
· Forward Thinking
· Analysing and Judgement
· Collaborating with others
· Advising and Influencing
· Customer Focus
· Qualifications and Skills
Other information relevant to the job:
You may be required to undertake site visits and to attend meetings with colleagues and stakeholders across Wales.
To provide specialist expertise on Environmental Assessment in the provision of services of a technical or specialist operational nature to internal and external customers. This technical/specialist service will inform the development of NRW operational activities and decision making. You will work with colleagues from other teams in EPP and Operations, sector representatives and the general public.
Key Job Accountabilities:
The post holder will:
· Undertake or manage delivery of environmental assessments making complex determinations and decision making for your area of technical expertise in order to influence the development and design of your portfolio of projects and plans. You will carry out appropriate technical assessment in accordance with NRW policies and procedures;
· Assist the Team Leader in the development of environmental assessment guidance for NRW staff and for sectors/partners;
· Liaise with external stakeholders such as Welsh Government, sector representatives and partners to ensure the timely and effective delivery of project, policy or strategy obligations;
· Represent the Environmental Assessment team on relevant internal technical groups, and internal/external stakeholder and sector meetings;
· Commission and manage specialist consultants to undertake assessments and surveys within agreed cost, time and quality thresholds;
· Support engagement with sectors, partners, WG, JNCC and other Environment bodies in the UK; and be the lead point of contact for customer queries;
· Contribute to task and finish groups, commissioned through the Business Boards, to prepare defined products as required;
· Collaborate with the Team Leader to develop and deliver an agreed Personal Development Plan.
Key Job Qualifications or Knowledge:
· Knowledge of: Welsh, UK and EU legislation related to SEA, EIA, Town and Country Planning, Habitats Regulations Assessment; WFD; Welsh & UK Governments & EU policy drivers in SMNR, EIA, SEA and SA; and the issues and opportunities in Wales;
· Competent expert as defined in the EIA Regulations, reflected in chartered membership of IEMA;
· Experience of: Working at a national, UK and international level managing a portfolio of projects and plans related to environmental assessment;
· In-depth understanding of the environmental assessment disciplines and the complex range of drivers and barriers to delivery;
· Working in environmental assessment at an operational and strategic level across the technical discipline;
· You will be a member of a relevant professional institution and/or working towards membership; and regarded as a competent expert as defined in the EIA Regulations;
· Working in a programme and project management environment with Project Management experience and/or qualifications;
· Share your knowledge and expertise to help solve problems, supporting all Heads of Business in EPP as required.