Kompetenzzentrum Wasser Berlin (KWB) is a non-profit company for applied research and innovation founded in 2001 with over 35 employees. We develop research projects by crosslinking future topics like digitalization, resource efficiency, smart city and climate resilience with the traditional fields of the urban water cycle (). In addition, KWB promotes the active transfer of knowledge to experts, municipal stakeholders, research partners, as well as to the interested public through public relations and the organization of events.
Your opportunity to make an impact:
As part of an interdisciplinary research team within the “Urban Systems” group, you will work on research projects at the interface of urban planning and engineering, contributing to climate adaptation and urban infrastructure resilience.
Your focus will lay on Blue-Green Infrastructure (BGI) and its effects on urban areas. First you will introduce yourself to the wide range of BGIs and the relatively new field of asset management and maintenance strategies of BGI. Afterwards you will model the effects of BGI on different urban contexts such as the Urban Heat Islands (UHI) effect and Combined Sewer Overflows (CSO) into Berlin water bodies.
Specific tasks include:
- Research on asset management and maintenance strategies of BGI
- Review on current/ongoing BGI maintenance research projects
- Review on existing performance assessment approaches of BGI
- Modelling the effects of BGI on urban climate, especially Urban Heat Islands (UHI) effects
- Setting up a 3D model of a Berliner district
- Create different implementation scenarios of BGI
- Visualize the effects of BGI in the different scenarios
- Modelling the effects of BGI on Combined Sewer Overflows (CSO)
Your areas of knowledge:
- Ongoing MsC in the field of (Hydro-)Informatics, Data Science, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or similar
- Solid methodical approach in literature review, data science and modelling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Enthusiasm for working in an interdisciplinary and international environment
- Interested in water management and infrastructure planning topics
Nice to have
- First experience with GIS (QGIS, ArcGIS)
- First experience in modelling (preferably in SWMM, InfoWorks, and/or ENVI_MET)
- Professional working proficiency in German
- 6 months experience in a leading research institute in Berlin, the capital city of Berlin
- Join a leading international research center addressing the most pressing challenges of water management, environmental protection and smart city
- Work in an interdisciplinary team of researchers and experts
Interested? Then we look forward to receiving your online application!
Please send your application with the keyword “23/15 – Intern SmartWater”.
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Work samples
- University certificates
Application deadline: 30.09.2023
Contact for questions:
Tel: +49(0)30 53653 831