Kompetenzzentrum Wasser Berlin (KWB) is a non-profit company for applied research and innovation founded in 2001 with over 35 employees. We develop research projects by crosslinking future topics like digitalization, resource efficiency, smart city and climate resilience with the traditional fields of the urban water cycle () In addition, KWB promotes the active transfer of knowledge to experts, municipal stakeholders, research partners, as well as to the interested public through public relations and the organization of events.
Your opportunity to make an impact:
As part of an interdisciplinary research team within the “Urban Systems” group, you will work on research projects at the interface of hydroinformatics and engineering, contributing to climate adaptation and urban infrastructure resilience. To effectively address water-related challenges such as flooding, droughts, and heat stress, you will work with the open-source water balance model ABIMO. The model, which has been specifically tailored for urban scenarios, simulates the three different water balance components: evaporation, surface runoff and infiltration.
Your Focus will lay on:
- Research on blue-green-infrastructures and their effect on the urban water balance
- Application and testing of the model on pilot areas in the German cities of Berlin and Cologne
- Development of new features and approaches for integrating blue-green-infrastructures into the model
Your areas of knowledge:
- Ongoing MsC in the field of (Hydro-)Informatics, Data Science, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science or similar
- Interest and first experience in data science, statistics, machine learning and/or modelling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Enthusiasm for working in an interdisciplinary and international environment
- Interested in water management and infrastructure planning topics
Nice to have
- Experience in programming (preferably in R, Python or C++) and/or software development
- 6 months experience in an applied research institute in Berlin, the capital city of Berlin
- Jointly address pressing challenges in the field of urban climate resilience
- Work in an interdisciplinary team of researchers and experts within KWB, Berlin and within the expert consortium of the project AMAREX ().
Interested? Then we look forward to receiving your online application!
Please send your application with the keyword “23/14 – Intern AMAREX”.
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Work samples
- University certificates
Application Deadline: 30.09.2023
Contact for questions:
Tel: +49(0)30 53653831
Francesco del Punta: