General purpose of the position
The WASH Coordinator’s role is to lead and provide technical support for planning and smooth operation of WASH activities in any defined context. This includes the active involvement in developing and rolling out the country WASH strategy based on the specific context, assessments/needs identified, program implementation of multiple WASH projects and fundraising. In addition, the WASH Coordinator will support with the overall building of capacity of local staff and stakeholders in WASH.
In the framework of our COVID-19 response intervention, supplementary activities related to infection prevention and control may be required
Main responsibilities and tasks
· Provide WASH sectoral leadership and technical support to rapid needs assessments and their analysis and ensure their linkage to activity plans and budgets. Assess in-country resources and capacities (human, material and financial) for WASH program roll out as per agreed objectives. In addition, evaluate the strengths/gaps in the capacities. Implement and maintain prescribed reporting systems to monitor and evaluate the objectives, indicators and outcomes of the projects
· Formulate the overall aims and objectives of the WASH response program through development of a clear WASH strategy for senior Country Management. Design an appropriate overall response to the country specific needs, taking into account the needs of the community; the current levels of in country WASH capacity and the overlapping of WASH and other INTERSOS sectors. Select and design from an array of appropriate technologies for water systems for the given context, including source selection (ground water, surface water), abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems and/or the rehabilitation of old Water systems. Select and design the most appropriate form of sanitation system (to include excreta disposal, vector control, solid waste disposal, drainage) taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs and cultural norms. Select and design, in collaboration with other actors a suitable hygiene promotion program that suits the local context and would be widely accepted by beneficiaries.
· Support further development of WASH interventions through the use of project conceptualization and planning skills such as SWOT analysis and Stakeholder mapping. Ensure Sphere and National standards are considered through the program cycle and are well documented and applied. Develop concept papers, letters of intent, proposals and budgets related to the above.
· Plan, lead and manage WASH program in a phased and prioritized manner in full consultation and co-ordination with INTERSOS staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
· Work closely with Human Resources team and with program support functions (logistics and finance departments) for WASH program supplies and activities planning and hiring of the WASH team.
· Ensure gender and protection is considered throughout the project cycle, with women being enabled to influence decision making around WASH challenges.
· Design and develop appropriate supervisory, monitoring and evaluation systems for WASH interventions.
· Provide regular updates and technical guidance to team on progress, priorities and challenges – verbally and in writing. Responsible for oversight of staff work plans, vacation schedules, staff training, development and appraisals.
· Represent INTERSOS to external stakeholders such as governmental and non-governmental groups, Donors and relevant clusters
Minimum of bachelor’s degree in water and sanitation engineering, civil
engineering, Public Health or relevant technical WASH specialization
At least five years of work experience with designing and implementing
water and sanitation systems in IDPs, refugee and migrant contexts, maintaining
sanitation systems, and implementing hygiene promotion programs, including 2
years in a humanitarian setting; or equivalent combination of education and
· Experience in developing WASH strategy, clear and realistic activity planning; overseeing implementation, tracking the progress, reporting against the agreed indicators and managing project budget. Experience in emergency and early recovery phases, including assessments and the design and delivery of effective water supply and hygiene promotion interventions in humanitarian and development contexts. Experience and understanding of key intuitional donors’ policies, guidelines and strategies e.g. USAid, OFDA, ECHO and UN. Demonstrated experience in WASH proposal development and preparation of internal and donor reports.
English or French. Preferably both
Strategic vision. Service orientation. Commitment to INTERSOS principles.
Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best