The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization which works as a solutions broker to accelerate action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Founded in 2018, the GCA is hosted by the Netherlands, working from its headquarters in Rotterdam with a knowledge and research hub based in Groningen. The GCA is establishing a worldwide network of regional offices in Africa, Asia and the Americas, starting with a global innovation hub for climate adaptation in Beijing. Through this evolving network of offices and global and regional GCA teams, the organization engages in high-level policy activities, new research contributions, communications, and technical assistance to governments and the private sector.
Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
The GCA seeks an experienced, dynamic and collaborative Program Coordinator to develop and deliver an ambitious program to scale-up the use of Nature-based Solutions (NbS) worldwide. In this role, you will be responsible for shaping and leading the GCA’s efforts to contribute towards the Global Commission on Adaptation’s goal of reducing climate risks for hundreds of millions of people by 2030.
In this role, you will shape and deliver the GCA’s contribution to the Global Commission on Adaptation’s Year of Action in 2020, and the NbS component of the Center’s work plan for 2020-2025. This includes efforts to: mobilise global support for NbS from the public and private sectors; catalyse the development of financial instruments for NbS and work with countries to strengthen the enabling environment for NbS.
The Program Coordinator will also be responsible for mainstreaming NbS across the work of the GCA. In particular, to contribute to an initiative to integrate nature-based solutions into the development, funding and operation of climate-resilient infrastructure that is being coordinated by the GCA’s Infrastructure Practice.
Reporting to the GCA’s Senior Advisor & Director (Global Commission on Adaptation), you will:
- Lead the Nature-based Solutions program, including the development of the detailed work plan, budget and staffing plan for NbS
- Ensure the successful development and delivery of the international multi-stakeholder projects within the work program to time and maintaining effective value for money.
- Prepare a high-profile and ambitious contribution on NbS for the Climate Adaptation Summit, which will be hosted by the Netherlands
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality research to disseminate good practices, and supporting peer-learning on nature-based solutions
- Develop and expand an international network of relevant experts and policymakers to support the delivery of the work programme
- Engage in cross-cutting projects to support the GCA’s overall mission of accelerating adaptation action
- Support outreach for the GCA.
Qualifications and Experience:
The GCA celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all candidates who meet the qualifications below:
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of Nature-based Solutions for climate change adaptation
- A Masters or PhD in economics, environmental sciences, social sciences, climate policy or a related discipline
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience, including in the fields of climate change, water and/or biodiversity, with a focus on resilience or climate adaptation
- Experience of building and maintaining strong networks and relationships with senior decision makers at national and international levels
- Experience of successfully delivering complex multi-stakeholder projects to time and within budget
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency (equivalent to CEFL C1 or above) in other languages would be an asset
The post will be located at the GCA’s office in Rotterdam, Netherlands on a full-time basis. The contract will be for a term of 1 year, with the possibility of renewal.
About the Global Center on Adaptation:
The GCA is the Managing Partner of the Global Commission on Adaptation co-chaired by Ban Ki-moon, Bill Gates and Kristalina Georgieva, formed to mobilize knowledge resources and catalyse political support for urgent action to climate adaptation solutions. The GCA is also the Managing Partner to the Vulnerable Twenty (V20) Group of Ministers of Finance and to the Climate Vulnerable Forum, a group of 48 developing countries highly vulnerable to climate change. In the run-up to the 2020 Climate Adaptation Summit, the GCA is driving a “Year of Action” on climate adaptation to translate commitments secured by the Global Commission on Adaptation into concrete activities on the ground. The GCA is the lead partner of the Climate Adaptation Summit, to be hosted by the Netherlands in 2020.
If you are interested in this position, please send your short motivation letter and your CV to [email protected] before 10 May 2020, mentioning the job position and the date as of which you would be available. Kindly inform us if you have a work permit for the Netherlands.
Know someone who might be interested?
Thank you for forwarding this vacancy to candidates who might be suitable and interested.