UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of National Project Director (NPD) and National Project Coordinator (NPC) and under the direct supervision of National Project Manager (NPM) from UNEP. The Expert will team together with other national thematic experts at Project Management Unit (PMU) to develop project deliverables as per the specific terms of reference.
The National Hydrology & Soil Expert (NHSE) will specifically:
- Undertake a field visit to project sites to conduct a detailed hydrology and soil assessment of the projects sites in consultation with local authorities, Officials and communities to inform the design including the size and location within each municipality of improved terraces, filtering dams, water conservation ponds and 24 community rain water harvesting devices. Based on the field assessment and discussion select and finalize sites for construction including a plan with budget.
- Based on the above plan, take lead for the construction (at least 720 ha) of improved terraces, (36 filtering dams), (36 water conservation ponds and 24 community rainwater harvesting devices) in the projects sites.
- Develop technical guidelines for training sessions on maintaining the infrastructures developed such as terraces, filtering dams, water conservation ponds and community rainwater harvesting devices ( to be presented during the training under output 1.2)
- With support from other thematic consultants provide technical training to local stakeholders on implementing, maintaining, monitoring and managing these infrastructures to conserve top soil and water.
- Establish the baseline on hydrology and soil quality of the project districts at the initial stage of the project and regularly monitor the change in hydrology and soil quality after project interventions related to water conservation and land restoration activities.
- Undertake any other responsibilities relevant for Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) as required by PMU.
- Master’s degree in Soil Science, Hydrology, Watershed Management, Water Engineering or any related discipline.
- Ten (10) years of substantive work experience in the field of Water and Soil Conservation, Watershed Management or related fields is required.
- Proven track record of having undertaken studies/design on hydrology and soil assessment, construction of soil conservation measures such as improved terraces, check/filtering dams, water conservation ponds and rain water harvesting devices or other related studies/design is required.
- Prior work experience of having developed technical guidelines and tools and imparted technical trainings as a resource person on the above subject including ability to work in a team and travel to field sites is essential.
- Fluency in English and Nepali is required.