The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral, and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC is mandated to work in countries affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence. The ICRC is present in over 100 countries and has some 20,000 staff.
In 2014, the ICRC expanded its presence in Ukraine. We have over 900 staff working across the county in various professional fields.
About the job
The ICRC Water and Habitat Department is recruiting a Water and Habitat Engineer based in its Odesa office. In close cooperation with the team members and line managers, the Water and Habitat Engineer will mainly be responsible for planning, designing and implementing engineering projects within the scope of the ICRC’s water and habitat assistance objectives with supervision and coaching from their hierarchical superior. S/he monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments and surveys, and plans new projects. S/he has a close
working relationship with external stakeholders related to their projects.
Start date: as soon as possible
Your Tasks and Responsibilities
- Participating in site visits, collecting and compiling technical information related to the project and needs.
- Drawing up documents (drawings, bills of quantities, contracts, etc.) for engineering projects using approved formats; monitors project implementation for compliance with project documents, ICRC standards, and local building codes/standards, ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary.
- Participating in the preparation of tender documentation (including bills of quantities, specifications).
- Participating in the preparation of contractual documents, including advertisement, detailing payment terms, selection of winning contractor through criteria, and collaborates with Logistics who organise payment according to measured works and ensure procedures and confidentiality are respected.
- Supervising contractors working on project sites and conducts quality control of the work.
- Monitoring, supervising the implementation and evaluate the outcomes, especially contracted works, of Water & Habitat projects in the field and prepare work progress reports.
- Preparing implementation/progress reports.
- Administering hand-over of ICRC-provided infrastructure to end-users.
- Training or organizing training for end-users in the operation and maintenance of infrastructure installed by the ICRC.
- Coordinating closely with other ICRC departments during all phases of multidisciplinary projects.
- Collaborating with Logistics Department, when it comes to the quality evaluations of procured goods and construction materials.
- Providing information to their supervisor and project colleagues on stakeholder issues, security and site progress
- Managing project purchasing on labor and materials according to the delegation’s logistical and financial rules.
What we offer you
- Employment contract according to Ukrainian labor law
- Flexible working arrangements
- Annual paid 20 working days’ vacation
- Competitive salary based on your qualification and experience between 49 600 and 71 920 UAH
- Medical insurance for employees and family
- ICRC Institutional training
- Individual development covered by ICRC
- Foreign language courses
- Convenient office location in the city center
To be successful as Water and Habitat Engineer in the Water and Habitat Department, you should possess the following qualifications and experiences and have the following characteristics:
Ukrainian citizenship or permanent residence permit in Ukraine
- University degree in civil, structural or hydrological/hydraulic engineering, architecture or similar.
- Excellent command (spoken and written) of Ukrainian and Russian language(s).
- Excellent command (spoken and written) of English.
- Proficient in use of drawing software if working in construction and hydraulic engineering.
- Proficient in use of AutoCAD and MS project-management suite or equivalent.
- 3-5 years’ professional experience in a related field of activity.
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation or construction engineering.
- Experience managing 1–3 technical support staff.
- Self-motivated with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles
- Flexible, enthusiastic, and willing to learn
- Ability to work independently, as well as effectively under supervision
- Confidence in managing projects and staff
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work within a diverse team and establish and maintain good working relations in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and multi-disciplinary environment
Interested? Yes? Then apply.
Please submit your CV in English, along with your motivation letter and salary expectations, to the attention of the ICRC People and Culture Team. Please label your CV with your first and last names (First Name LAST NAME).
In addition, please complete the compulsory ICRC questionnaire. The questionnaire is available through the following link: https://forms.office.com/e/APw3dvQMHJ.
(Click on the link or copy the link into your internet browser.)
Your application will be considered only once you have completed the ICRC questionnaire and uploaded your CV in English.
Application deadline: 02 October 2023
Only candidates meeting the abovementioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and/or interviews. No inquiries by phone, please. Due to the urgency of the position, the ICRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
ICRC is Equal Opportunity Employer giving the highest priority to staff safety and security.
Qualified female and male candidates are encouraged to apply for the position.
For more information, visit the website: http://www.icrc.org/