Field based position in Leer, South Sudan with travel to project implementation sites within Leer County. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
ASAP. Full time, 24 months.
The Wash Project Manager has a vital role to play in community mobilisation as well as access to safe water and sanitation for the target population. This involves effectively managing the assigned WASH and infrastructure project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s). The role also includes enhancing beneficiary participation, managing and training local staff, implementing control and quality procedures in cooperation with the M&E Manager and the Project Coordinator, and assessing, planning and initiating new infrastructure and WASH projects / proposals in liaison with local authorities, community and other stakeholders.
Medair’s goal in Leer County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations by providing emergency psychosocial support, health, nutrition and WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) services and improving the psychosocial well-being of affected populations.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Develop & implement an effective WASH strategy, setting clear objectives & indicators.
- Develop new proposals including log frame, human resource need, budget and BoQs.
- Manage the assigned WASH projects to meet the project objectives and activities within budget and allotted timeframe, particularly factoring in seasonal access limitations.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design,
- execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Represent Medair at coordination meetings and through relationships with external partners (eg community leaders, government officials, UN agencies, and other NGOs).
Technical Design & Oversight
- Ensure the project is in line with Sphere standard and other international standards.
- Ensure protection, AAP, people with disability & gender are mainstreamed in the WASH project implementation. Adapt and evaluate appropriate (such as culturally acceptable, environmentally friendly, and cost effective) technologies to achieve project goals and maximize impact.
- Line manage WASH team: providing support, constructive feedback, coaching.
- Conduct formal staff appraisals and performance monitoring.
- Lead regular WASH team meetings, reviewing project progress and planning.
- Provide updates on the broader humanitarian and political context.
- Recruit new staff (with support from HR and Advisor) and provide training as needed.
- Ensuring Medair HR policies are followed and integrate Medair values into regular activities.
- Assess the cost of activities concerning scope, schedule and logistics to plan and forecast spending.
- Manage the WASH budget, tracking expenditure against planned.
- Authorization for procurement of items. Provide input to monthly Cash Needs Forecast, to ensure adequate cash reserves are kept in the field to cover foreseen and unforeseen activities.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and GSO WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders to ensure good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in state and county level WASH coordination meetings, Medair internal training, and other working groups or meetings, representing Medair and feedback to the WASH staff and field managers.
- Develop procurement plans at the start of the project cycle to forecast procurement needs.
- Coordinate with support and logistics managers to facilitate procurement of supplies in Juba, Nairobi, or GSO. Note: most supplies cannot be procured locally and are delivered via air or river transport.
- Coordinate, request, and report utilization of WASH NFIs from the WASH core pipeline when needed.
- Ensure adequate stock of critical supplies, particularly in seasonal access limitations (wet season).
- Support the security focal person with security management when needed.
- Ensure the WASH team adheres to standard operating procedures Medair has in place.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet, Medair people, and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used, and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country, and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in a WASH-related field (e.g. Civil engineering, Mechanical engineering, Hydraulic engineering, Environmental engineering, Public health, Hydrogeology/Hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)is required for this position.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Project Management experience of WASH in emergencies/ humanitarian setting. Good report writing skills. Problem solving ability.
- 2 years’ experience working in a WASH programme in an emergency context desirable.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities.
- Knowledge and experience of WASH principles, standards and management.
- Excellent working knowledge of the English (spoken and written).
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.