JOB NUMBER: WSP08960
LOCATION: UK – UK Wide
OFFICE LOCATION: UK Wide
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
CLOSING DATE: 30-Sep-2023
We are WSP – Join us and make your career future ready!
In today’s world it’s important to work for a company that has clear purpose, giving back to communities and supporting what is truly important in the world.
When considering a career move it’s vital to work for a business that is aligned to your values and goals, a place where you can belong. See what WSP stands for in 2023 and beyond…
To find out more about our Mining business by clicking on the following link and discover what awaits you at WSP: https://www.wsp.com/en-gb/sectors/mining
Your new role, what’s involved?
- Input to or completion of water resources aspects of a range of mining projects (with senior review and direction), including environmental assessments, environmental permitting, and engineering design projects by:
- Conducting climatic, hydrological and hydraulic assessments, including fieldwork, data management, data analysis, and modelling;
- Developing life-of-mine water management plans and completing conceptual design of water management infrastructure;
- Completing water balance modelling to assess water management alternatives and to estimate water demand, treatment, storage and discharge requirements;
- Input to prefeasibility, feasibility and detailed designs of water management infrastructure (e.g. open channels, sewers, culverts, spillways, energy dissipators, holding and settling ponds, pumping systems) including capital and operating cost estimates; and,
- Completing dam break analyses of water and tailings dams, including developing inundation maps, delineating self-rescue zones and classifying dams in terms of risk to population, property and the environment.
- Preparing input to complete technical documents including descriptions of investigations, results, conclusions and recommendations for review by senior staff;
- Providing support to UK and Ireland based non-mining projects, including Flood Risk Assessments (FRA) and Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SuDS) design for land development projects;
- Project-based travel and site work, working away from home both in the UK, Ireland and internationally. The frequency and duration of this will depend on business and client need;
- Supporting the development and maintenance of client relationships, either through project-based client interaction or through supporting business development efforts of senior staff;
- Working in a collaborative manner with colleagues from other disciplines within WSP as required;
- Work in a collaborative way, taking direction from and supporting more senior staff to achieve project goals and meet deadlines; and
- Display a ‘safety first’ attitude in line with an interdependent health and safety culture, promoting positive health and safety, raising safety issues through the appropriate channels and adhering to WSP’s health and safety policy and procedures.
This job description describes the principal purpose and main elements of the job. It is a guide to the nature of the main duties as they currently exist but it is not intended as a wholly comprehensive or permanent schedule of tasks. The post holder is expected to work flexibly and respond positively to changing business needs.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- BSc degree (or equivalent) in Water Resource Engineering or Civil Engineering (with hydrology and hydraulics modules), or BSc in Geography or Environmental Sciences (with hydrology module) plus MSc course in engineering hydraulics;
- Strong technical and report writing skills;
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written (in English);
- Positive and enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Ability to work in an open and collaborative manner as part of a team;
- Ability to make decisions and display initiative;
- Good organisational ability and time management skills;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Full UK or EU Driving Licence; and
- Flexibility, willingness and ability to travel both locally and internationally.
- Additional language skills;
- Experience in consulting or engineering;
- Competency with GIS and CAD systems;
- Competency in a programming language (e.g. Python, R, C);
- Competency with hydrologic and hydraulic modelling software (e.g., HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, PC SWMM)
- Competency with GoldSim Monte Carlo Simulation software;
- Membership of a relevant professional organisation; and
- Experience of international travel.
What’s in it for you?
- Work-life balance?
WSP recognises that work is only one part of your life and making time for other things is important – whether that’s for your families, friends, or yourself.
Our hybrid working policy allows the flexibility to work from the comfort of your own home as well as collaborating in our contemporary offices across the UK.
- Inclusivity & Diversity?
We want our people to achieve rewarding careers, bringing their whole selves to work. We celebrate integrity and treat people with respect, supporting each other and embracing diversity to create a culture of inclusion and belonging at WSP.
Our employee resource groups VIBE (LGBTQ+ employees), CREED (Championing Racial Equality and Ethnic Diversity) and our Gender Balance Group, in tandem with WSP’s Neurodiverse Community Group, WSP Connect Group (visible and non-visible disabilities) help us promote the right environment for you to reach your full potential.
- Health & Wellbeing?
We are committed to supporting our people, giving you the tools to make improvements to your health and wellbeing through our Thrive programme.
Med24 gives you and your family unrestricted telephone access to an NHS doctor where you can call day or night or have a face-to-face video consultation.
- Flex your time?
For improved work life balance, WSP offers the “WSP Hour” which enables you to take one hour per day to do as you wish and make up the time earlier or later that day. We also offer part time and flexible working arrangements plus the option to flex your bank holiday entitlement to suit you.
- Your development?
We appreciate that development and training is important to you and that’s why we have a supportive environment that invests in your development, whether that’s chartership, training or mentoring.
Apply now and be the future of WSP!
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. As a Disability Confident leader, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria, please let us know if you require any workplace adjustments in support of your application.
Please note WSP reserves the right to close the vacancy before the advertised closing date.