GRID-Arendal is seeking a consultant to assist in the development of an application to the Green Climate Fund (GCF). Under the guidance of the GEF Blue Forests Project Manager and Project Coordinator at GRID-Arendal, the Consultant will be responsible for the development of a Concept Note and Project Preparation Facility application for a GCF project in ten selected Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
Small Island Developing States are among the first and most adversely affected by climate change and sea level rise as oceans and coasts play a disproportionately large role in island lives and livelihoods. The impacts of climate change and extreme weather events severely exacerbate the existing socio-economic and environmental vulnerabilities in these countries. There is an urgent need for SIDS to implement effective climate change resilience strategies. However, managing, monitoring and protecting island territories and ecosystems from the increasing threats related to climate change have proven financially and technically challenging for SIDS. By harnessing the natural climate adaptation and mitigation services provided by coastal and marine ecosystems (i.e., ‘blue carbon’ sinks) and building strong national and regional climate information services, the proposed GCF project will support climate-resilient and sustainable blue economies in SIDS countries.
The proposed project will be anchored in national policies and international commitments for each participating SIDS country, enabling long-term change. This includes directly supporting the implementation of strengthened, ambitious and measurable Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) to the UNFCCC.
Objective and Scope of the Assignment:
In consultation with GRID-Arendal, UN Environment Programme, and SIDS partners, the Consultant will develop a concept note and Project Preparation Facility application, including required supplementary documentation, for submission to the GCF. The concept will be based on a draft concept note produced by GRID-Arendal and its partners, and will build on experiences gained in the GEF Blue Forests Project.
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Consultant include:
1. A GCF concept note prepared according to the GCF’s Concept Note template that meets all of the requirements stated in the GCF’s Concept Note User’s Guide. The draft concept note and associated material will be made available by GRID-Arendal to the successful applicant.
3. Completion of UN Environment Programme’s Environmental, Social and Economic Review Note (ESERN).
4. Telephone/Skype consultations with partners to obtain relevant information for completing the concept note, PPF application and ESERN.
- Broad understanding of climate change adaptation issues, and experience in working with developing countries
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of the Green Climate Fund and its application processes
- Knowledge of the UN system and specifically of UN Environment Programme
- Attention to detail and respect for deadlines
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience
Applications should include the following:
- Brief covering letter, including relevant experience and information about availability
- CV (including contact details of at least 2 referees for whom similar work has been undertaken)
- Your daily date, based on an 8-hour working day (in USD or NOK, including VAT) for the contractual period.
Consultants replying to this Expression of Interest should send applications to: [email protected] and mark in the subject “Expression of Interest – Green Climate Fund” by close of business on 04 May 2020.
Type: Independent Consultancy Contract
Duration: Approximately 1.5 – 2 months within the period of 18 May – 31 July 2020
Starting date: 2020-05-18
Ending date: 2020-07-31