Chemonics seeks a deputy chief of party for the anticipated USAID Water and Vulnerable Environment Activity based in Almaty, Kazakhstan. This five-year program seeks to strengthen regional cooperation on shared water resources and address current and emerging environmental challenges to promote stability, economic prosperity, and healthy ecosystems in Central Asia. The program will build the human and technical capacity of water stakeholders and institutions in all Central Asian countries; support the sustainability of the transboundary Small Basin Councils established under USAID’s Smart Waters project and scale them up; enhance government initiatives at national and regional levels to support transboundary water cooperation; and sustainably address emerging environmental challenges in the region. Program work is expected to take place in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan in multiple field offices. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Assist the chief of party in all aspects of project implementation, including leadership, technical direction, and management of project activities and results
- Manage of day-to-day technical activities, ensuring that results are achieved on schedule and aligned with USAID expectations
- Ensure that water-energy-agriculture nexus and integrated water resources management (IWRM) principles drive program performance to strengthen human capital, institutional effectiveness, and local systems
- Participate in key counterpart, donor, and USAID coordination and project implementation meetings
- Apply monitoring, evaluation, and learning to implementation strategies and adaptively manage performance, ensuring that program targets are achieved
- Assist in the preparation of all required USAID reports and deliverables, including monthly activity plans, annual work plans, and all periodic project progress reports
- Serve as acting chief of party when chief of party is on leave or away from post
- Advanced degree in public policy, public administration, water and natural resource management, energy, agriculture, sustainable development, or another relevant field
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in program management, either as a deputy chief of party or similar technical oversight role. Experience managing programs related to water, environment, the water-energy-food security nexus, watershed management, and/or application of IWRM practices at local and national levels is preferred
- Demonstrated technical understanding of and experience in environmental and water management as it relates to sustainable development in Central Asia
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a wide range of stakeholders (e.g., host-government counterparts, local governments, the private sector, NGOs, and other donors) to promote and leverage technical-assistance efforts in water-resources management, water governance, energy, and agriculture
- Proven ability to communicate complex topics and ideas to facilitate donor and regional counterpart buy-in on program activities
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English as well as Russian or a Central Asian language required.
Please submit an up-to-date cover letter and resume to [email protected] by May 1, 2020. Only finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.