Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
In December 2016, the City of Boston released its first comprehensive vulnerability assessment and resilience plan called Climate Ready Boston. The plan’s primary goal is to prepare Boston to rising sea levels, increased precipitation, and more frequent and intense heat waves associated with climate change. Since then, the City has advanced on several goals such as neighborhood resilience planning in East Boston, Charlestown, South Boston, Downtown, and Dorchester and the initial implementation of those plans. Continued implementation of additional strategies include integrating preparedness and climate change projections into all municipal projects, planning, and permit review; coordinating Boston’s preparedness activities with related work by other municipalities, regional authorities and offices of the Commonwealth; and working with business, institutional, non-profit and neighborhood groups to ensure that all parts of the Boston community have the knowledge, support, and resources necessary to reduce their vulnerability to the increasing risks associated with climate change.
The Program Manager will report to the Director of Climate and Environmental Planning in the Environment Department, and interact with all segments of Boston’s municipal government and of the Boston community.
- Manages the Climate Ready Boston program, coordinate projects and partnerships, manage coordinator and fellows.
- Leads neighborhood climate resilience planning and develop proposals for extending planning into additional neighborhoods.
- Leads the management of projects to develop specific plans and projects that address risks from longer and more frequent heat waves, more intense precipitation, and higher sea levels and coastal flooding.
- Prepares and secure grants for projects and programs.
- Enhances strategic partnerships with other departments and external stakeholders.
- Collects, track, and maintain metrics for the evaluation of Climate Ready Boston and ensure those measures are available to the public. Facilitate program iterations or redesign.
- Stays current with important scientific developments and convey them in practical terms to Boston stakeholders.
- Assists in coordinating internal and external activities related to climate preparedness in Boston.
- Supports other municipal offices and planning initiatives in integrating climate preparedness into their programs and coordinate Boston’s climate preparedness activities with those of other jurisdictions.
- Identifies obstacles to increased climate-preparedness activity by individuals, small and large businesses and institutions, and develop strategies to reduce those obstacles.
- Ensures integration of preparedness and climate change projections into all municipal projects, planning, and permit review.
- Works with business, institutional, non-profit, neighborhood groups and residents to ensure that all parts of the Boston community, and especially the most vulnerable members of the community, have the support and resources necessary to reduce their vulnerability to the increasing risks associated with climate change.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- Five (5) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in environmental science or policy, urban planning, engineering, business or a related field.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience. A master’s degree in a related field is strongly preferred and may be substituted for three (3) years of the required experience.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to work with diverse interests and background.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Energy, creativity, and entrepreneurship.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Experience with GIS and Adobe Suite preferred.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED