The role provides leadership of the Environmental strategy, policies and standards and drives performance across the Group in support of our newly established Sustainability targets.
Specifically, the role is responsible for:
- Assessing the impact that BAT has on the Environment we operate in, ensuring that we manage the associated regulatory environment and protect our corporate reputation and license to operate.
- Regularly reviewing the changing external Environment and its potential impact on BAT ensuring/determining future access to critical natural resources.
- Providing specialist knowledge in the area of evolving environmental regulation, stakeholders expectations and best practices.
- Driving EHS reporting and data analysis processes and building strong benchmarking and research systems and networks that support the delivery of the Group’s EHS and sustainability public goals and targets.
- Developing and driving the EHS IWS Pillar Environmental tools and management systems to enhance performance in the area of Environmental management
- Supporting the Regional EHS Managers to develop a robust functional capability, knowledge and skills that can deliver the execution of the strategy
- Upholding EHS compliance across the Group as part of the functional audit process
- Provide strategic leadership to develop a coherent risk-based approach to environmental management.
- Identify and assess environmental impacts and drive implementation of measures to minimise these impacts through efficiency in resource usage or investment in technology or processes and ways of operating.
- Management of Environmental performance data KPIs and associated reporting process. This includes the monthly and quarterly analysis, investigation and interpretation of the key environmental parameters and preparation of relevant Corporate Audit Committee and Main Board reports.
- Analysis and interpretation of the data to identify issues or opportunities for sharing current best approaches across the Group.
- Formulate and develop leading edge environmental policies and management standards for business activities and ensure their implementation throughout the Group.
- Perform Compliance Assessments, including Health & Safety, across the Group (c.6 per annum) as part of the functional assurance process, ensuring follow-up actions are monitored to completion and reported to the relevant audit forums accordingly
- Lead the process for maximising the consolidation of the relevant sections of external sustainability surveys e.g. Dow Jones, CDP.
- Develop and maintain procedures for reporting, ensuring accuracy and quality in the data, enabling external verification of our performance by assurance partners (for the verification of Environmental data for the Group’s Sustainability and Annual reports, and www.bat.com).
- Engage with Environmental and sustainability experts across industries, academic, governmental and non-governmental institutions in developing internal organisational expertise knowledge, benchmarking capabilities and understanding of environment & sustainability developments.
- BAT ‘s Sustainability Agenda has been refreshed to reflect the changing external environment, placing a greater emphasis on the importance of addressing climate change and environmental management.
- The Group set new science-based targets in 2019 for reducing carbon emissions, and at the same time new 2030 targets were established for all other environmental KPIs using 2017 as the new baseline to incorporate the newly acquired US business.
- BAT’s business, however, is continuing to transform with a growing New Categories portfolio, and with evolving societal and investor expectations the Group has set new accelerated 2025 environmental performance targets with an aim to achieve Carbon Neutrality by 2030.
- The successful delivery of the overall Environment strategy, performance aligned to targets and plans embedded within the business units will be key to delivering them.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Ability to be agile and think and operate strategically at a global and geographic level.
- Excellent leadership skills in order to motivate, inspire and train/develop diverse teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be able to influence key stakeholders (both internal and external) to own and drive the implementation of the Environmental agenda, and delivery of the annual plan.
- A passion for driving continuous improvement and embedding a best practice approach globally.
- Ability to develop and report metrics, identify trends and develop creative solutions to resolve environment challenges within area of expertise.
Experience & Knowledge
- Extensive experience in all aspects of environmental management, gained over at least 10 years working in a multi-national company.
- Experience leading a global function or geographic unit to successfully deliver environmental business goals in an international company.
- Delivered wide scale and complex change programmes over multi-national geography.
- Extensive knowledge of international environmental regulations, the sustainable development agenda and external engagement practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of Health & Safety management
- Understanding of EHS Governance process
- Understanding of audit methodology or experience of working in an audit role
Qualifications & Training
University level knowledge or equivalent of Environmental Management or Sustainable Development.