Rehabilitation WASH Coordinator
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 6 months with potential extension
Location: Northeast Syria
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The NES intervention is currently remotely targeting Raqqa and Deir-Ez zor districts through a WASH, Shelter & NFI/Winterization support to displaced population and host communities. An intervention in NWS in remote management is currently targeting Azaz district through a WASH, NFI/Winterization and FSL support to displaced population and host communities. The current total budget of the mission is approximately 26,000,000 USD.
About the job
SI is looking for a WASH Coordinator, based in Northeast Syria (NES).
SI has been rehabilitating water treatment and irrigation stations in several locations in NES, as a complement to its emergency activities (water trucking and emergency sanitation notably). These rehabilitations, which range from occasional small-scale rehabilitations on water networks to the near reconstruction of the entire station, have an extremely high impact for the affected population’s access to population for both consumption and irrigation purposes.
For the rehabilitation activities SI is targeting mainly water treatment stations and associate network, a WASH Coordinator with specific technical ability on rehabilitation work is required. The role will require extensive engagement with local authorities, with other rehabilitation actors in the area, and with mine clearance groups in order to successfully realize the project.
The work will be focused on four key areas facilities rehabilitation:
- Power (where connection to the public network is not possible generators may be provided, as well as repairs of electrical connections where damaged).
- Water Treatment System (where the treatment plant is damaged, e.g. repair of sand filtration system).
- Civil engineering works (where buildings and general damage has been incurred to facilities that requires repair before treatment station can be functional again).
- Distribution Network (where connections to the wider water network has been damaged so that distribution from the station to communities is not functional).
- Technical supervision and leadership: fine-tune and improve BoQ and technical specifications, ensuring standards are respected, notably regarding the safety of the infrastructures.
- External representation: coordination with the local authorities and the other actors (local and international) working in the WASH sector, in a spirit of transparency
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Highly technical works, requiring strong technicity for both internal (towards the team) and external legitimacy
- Work in extremely hard-to-reach/ volatile areas, with SI usually being the only international actor present
- The job holder will be required to work in close collaboration with the logistics department, providing technical support for the call for tender and other processes, due to the specificities of the works concerned
The candidate will manage a small technical team implementing works on up to 4 sites. But in addition, the Rehabilitation WASH Coordinator will be required to effectively manage local contractors carrying out the works, ensuring compliance with time, cost, and quality standards.
- Formal training and qualifications in large scale water production and distribution systems (water treatment plant, water networks, irrigation network) -no specific level required
- At least 5 years of experience in the design and/or construction FU and/or management of water production and distribution systems (preferably in humanitarian context but not mandatory)
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Water treatment, basic hydraulics, cast iron and PEHD pipe installation
- pumping station (pumps, injection pumps, mud pumps)
- Electricity (generators with a capacity of several hundreds kW, electrical transformers, distribution panels, …)
- Technical Assessment / Feasibility study / BoQ and Technical specification writing
- Tender process
- Work supervision (in hard context or tense situation)
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word, Google Earth)
Soft skills and spirit:
- Strong communications skills
- Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
- Arabic will be an asset
SI will offer you
A salaried position: starting from 2640 euros gross per month (2400€ + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The candidate will be based in North East Syria at the main Amuda office, but will also be required to spend time working from and staying at the guesthouse of the sub-office in Ain Issa during the week to allow closer proximity to the sites of project implementation. She/He will live in the SI guesthouse(s). In Kobane, living conditions are comfortable with some opportunities and places to socialize. In Ain Issa, the living conditions are simple with little opportunities and places to socialize. The perdiem rate for Erbil is 750 USD a month.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension