The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The anticipated, USAID-funded Integrated Natural Resource Management (INRM) project will serve as a cross-sectoral support mechanism under the Agency’s Environmental and Natural Resource Management (ENRM) Framework. The activity will be primarily based in Washington, D.C. with multiple buy-ins from overseas USAID missions.
The Task Order will support uptake of ENRM across the Agency by providing strategic support to USAID’s Missions, technical offices and other Operating Units on integrated programming through the following thematic areas: (1) Supporting strategic planning based on timely analysis and best available evidence; (2) Supporting and facilitating Mission-led ENRM project and activity design and adaptive management; (3) Testing new approaches in integrated ENRM programming; (4) Supporting monitoring, evaluation and learning of multi-sectoral programs; and (5) Supporting communications and knowledge management. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Natural Resources Management Lead, based in Abt’s Rockville, Maryland office, to support the INRM activity. Candidates that meet the qualifications described below and are interested in working from another Abt office or in telecommuting may also be considered for the position. The position is contingent upon project award and USAID approval.
The Natural Resource Management Lead will provide thought leadership, overall technical guidance, and lead implementation of INRM activities focusing on natural resource management.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership in the development of analysis and the evidence base that can help USAID clients in:
- The design of natural resource management programs, potentially including 1) conservation and management of high-priority natural land, marine, and coastal areas; 2) managing natural resources for sustainable human use; and 3) combating conservation crimes.
- The integration of natural resource management dimensions into other sectors, such as governance, mining, infrastructure development, etc.
- Lead engagement and technical discussions with the client and other stakeholders on activities focusing on natural resource management.
- Lead the development of innovative approaches for natural resource management that address the client’s needs.
- Provide subject matter expertise to support the development of MEL, communication, and knowledge management activities.
- Oversee the work of team members, consultants and sub-contractors working on natural resource management to ensure achievement work plan objectives and targets, and timely/effective implementation.
- Graduate Degree in a relevant field, potentially including biology, environmental sciences, forestry, etc.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in natural resource management, preferably including expertise in biodiversity conservation, natural resource management for sustainable human use (agriculture, fisheries, and forestry) and/or combating conservation crimes (i.e. illegal trade and extraction of wildlife, forest products, and/or fish).
- Sound understanding of USAID’s policies, requirements and existing tools to support natural resource management, including Biodiversity and Tropical Forest Analysis (FAA 118-119), and for environmental compliance.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience strongly preferred.
- Proven experience working across sectors and leading inter-disciplinary teams.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with women, youth, and/or indigenous populations would be an asset.
- Experience working with private sector partners and leveraging financial funds to support natural resource management is highly desirable.
- Language skills in Spanish, French, Portuguese and/or Arabic are highly desirable.
- MA/MBA with 7 – 10 years of experience OR PhD with 4 – 6 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.