Job Category: Programming
Requisition Number: HYGIE004088
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps (MC) is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions. During our 34-year history, our work has improved more than 170 million lives in more than 115 countries around the world. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Program / Department Summary
With USIDA/BHA support, Mercy Corps propose Humanitarian response to the crisis in Afar (HURECA) project in Zone two of Afar region. The project provides WASH, Shelter NFI, and Livelihood (Livestock and Cash) for conflict-affected individuals residing in the three target Woredas until June 24, 2024. The main objective of the project is to meet their basic needs through provision of WASH services, essential NFIs, livelihoods (livestock support and the multipurpose cash assistance) needed to promote dignified individual and community recovery.
Position Title: Hygiene and Sanitation Officer
Duty Station Mercy Corps Abala Field Office
Open Position: ONE
Under the direct supervision of the WASH specialist, the hygiene promotion officer will be responsible for the hygiene promotion and sanitation component of HARP/WASH program at woreda level. He/She will be responsible for the implementation hygiene promotion and sanitation component and ensuring program quality, completion of activities within allocated funding and project period, and identifying new needs for program expansion and improvement. The Hygiene Promotion Officer will be spending full of his/her time in the woredas assigned.
Essential Job Responsibilities
In coordination with the WASH and Cash and livelihood and Livestock officer, undertake/take part in quantitative/qualitative assessments to identify key risky hygiene behaviors to work on and to capture key achievements with-in the framework of the program.
- Work with health extension workers and target beneficiaries to identify volunteers for hygiene promotion/education,
- Undertake assessments to identify appropriate hygiene NFI needs and ensure their distribution.
- Train volunteers on basics of hygiene promotion/education, hygiene promotion/education methods/approaches, communication, and facilitation skills,
- Prepare detail implementation plan for hygiene promotion/education activities in coordination with WASH specialist.
- Ensure implementation of hygiene promotion activities as per planned approaches/methods
- Work with WASH specialist, and project manager on development, testing, printing and positioning of culturally appropriate IEC materials, and monitoring tools and ensure proper use of the same,
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports/updates,
- Ensure needs of most vulnerable are taken in to account at all stages of hygiene promotion intervention/s,
- Coordinate and integrate with other implementing partners in harmonizing hygiene promotion/education interventions,
- Document and share lessons learned and success stories in relation to hygiene to inform future programming.
- Ensure proper implementation of hygiene and sanitation component of WASH projects with-in allocated budget and timeline meeting international standards.
- Ensure integration of Water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion components of the project with other sectors
- Prepare monthly field reports covering all hygiene and sanitation components and submit to WASH specialist.
- Undertake need assessments and contribute to the preparation of new proposals,
- Visit the IDP sites, health facilities and make house to house visit regularly and provide on-site mentoring to hygiene and sanitation team.
- Ensure that procurements are timely initiated, monitored and prioritized by the logistics team.
- Monitor and ensure spending against plan and analyze monthly financial reports.
- Ensure that program spending is in line with original plan and burn rate balances with implementation progress.
- Work with finance and logistics to ensure the program quality.
- Foster linkages with partners including WASH clusters, WASH steering committees and UN agencies for effective implementation of the program.
- Any additional tasks as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- Sc degree in Environmental health, Sanitation, Water technologies or related field. 4 years of experience in WASH projects
- Key programmatic knowledge includes project formulation and design, SBCC, and project management.
- NGO/Private sector experience has a significant advantage.
- Excellent team and interpersonal relationship skills, especially in a cross-cultural setting, required.
- Ability to take direction, follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to analyze complex situations and to make recommendations for improvement of and contribute to overall program strategy.
- Experience in conducting training and workshops.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation
- Willingness and ability to perform fieldwork and travel to the most remote areas.
- Hard-working, honest, dedicated, ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels – with colleagues, government and military officials, community leaders and community members.