Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world. Splash is pursuing funding to reach 100% of government schools in Kolkata with full WASH coverage by the end of 2023.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People – People first. People second. People third.
- Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
The WASH Infrastructure Coordinator is responsible for the design and oversight of the installation, construction, and rehabilitation of sanitation and water infrastructure at hundreds of school sites across Kolkata. This person will be responsible for making sure that all phases of Splash’s sanitation and water work (design, budgeting, hiring of contractors, and construction projects) are completed on time, within budget, and per Splash quality standards by the implementation partner. This will necessitate project and financial tracking, personnel management, support partner organization to manage contractors collaborating with government technical experts, ensuring sustainability of Splash interventions, risk management, and conflict resolution. The Coordinator is responsible for the planning and execution of WASH O&M activities such as technical training for school management, partner staff and support staff, ongoing technical WASH related support to ensure sustainability. The Coordinator reports to and assists the WASH Infrastructure Specialist in leading, managing, and executing all WASH infrastructure work and the integration of the same with behavior change and sustainability interventions. The Coordinator will support/coordinate WASH Infrastructure Assistants/supervisors from the partner organization.
- Complete design work for sanitation and water infrastructure activities, prepare and/or refine work plans, monitor progress, and produce recommendations on how to solve implementation challenges and bottlenecks.
- Help create BOQs and site level designs for installation of new water filtration systems, water stations, water storage, and sanitation facilities as well as rehabilitation of existing sanitation facilities.
- Plan, implement, and monitor Infrastructure O&M training, capacity building (for Splash staff and stakeholders), and any other infrastructure related sustainability activities of Splash India Project WISE and previous Splash supported sites.
- Serve as a technical consultant for the partner organization on contractor and vendor evaluation and selection
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of all water and sanitation infrastructure program processes and equipment. Be a leader for innovation and improvement.
- Communicate with government project staff, local stakeholders, and school management to ensure on-time and on-budget implementation and sustainability of the project interventions.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other Splash team members in Addis Ababa and Seattle to support continuous global learning and improvement regarding infrastructure and construction.
- Work closely with the Finance team ensure appropriate record keeping is maintained on all donor related financial documents to facilitate the timely reconciliation and liquidation.
- Ensure compliance with the financial systems and policies of Splash, donors, and the State and government of India.
- Provide technical leadership and supervision for the hiring, training, and mentoring of infrastructure team as and when necessary.
- Ensure project staff and other infrastructure personnel get on-the-job coaching on infrastructure activities.
- Evaluates and writes specifications for infrastructure related materials for quality, durability, appropriateness, and cost.
- Is a leader for Splash’s worker safety and training programs for both Splash and contractor staff at active work sites.
- Working closely with project WISE team members to ensure collective success of project and ensure structured communication mechanism to share updates. Provide support/assistance for overall Splash WASH Infrastructure work as deemed necessary by the WASH Infrastructure Specialist, the Seattle-based Senior WASH Infrastructure Manager, and India Office WISE Project Director.
- Support partner and technical agency in Water quality monitoring and evaluation and data entry of the infrastructure work completed.
- Perform other duties as needs arise in the course of implementing the project.
Kolkata WASH Infrastructure Specialist
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire and will be reviewed at least annually.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
- BE/Diploma in Civil or other relevant Engineering degree, coursework or certification in Project Management preferred
- At least 7 years of experience working on construction, development, and/or WASH projects preferably in India, including at least 3 years of personnel and project management experience; urban experience strongly preferred
- Highly proficient in the project management, construction management, and WASH sectors, conversant on current sector thinking related to sanitation design, water treatment, plumbing, and construction
- Ability to collaborate effectively with international and local staff, local implementation partners, contractors, government partners, and vendors
- Knowledge of construction management, sanitation design, water quality, and project management
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office (required), and Project Management and Tracking software
- Professional level of written and verbal fluency in English required as well as Hindi and/or Bengali (Bengali preferred)
Desired Attributes Include
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve