Requisition ID: req43539
Job Title: WASH Manager
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Minbya, Myanmar
The position is responsible for overall management of WASH project activities including cyclone emergency response project activities in Minbya and Rathedaung Townships in Rakhine state. The WASH manager will lead the Rakhine WASH team and provide all the required support throughout project implementation and will also support WASH program coordinator with preparation of capacity building training for all WASH team members and partner organizations and provide inputs for project proposals and report
The IRC’s WASH projects focus on the promotion of good hygienic behaviors and practices among most vulnerable communities, meeting the pressing humanitarian WASH needs of vulnerable people in IDP camps and conflict-affected sites in Rakhine, Kayah, states in Southeast and Kachin states, Myanmar – through effective community and public communication and the empowerment of women and girls.
The WASH Manager will be responsible for supporting the Rakhine WASH team for the successful implementation of WASH project activities inclusiveness of hygiene promotion, water quality analysis, WASH infrastructure constructions and renovations in IDP camps in the project area through the capacity advancement of WASH team members. The WASH Manager will be supporting WASH coordinator in all the oversight technical supervision, management and provide inputs for the development of project technical proposals and reporting. He/she will represent the IRC’s WASH team in Rakhine in all the coordination with WASH cluster members and any other humanitarian actors as relevant.
- Leading the implementation of cyclone emergency response WASH activities in Minbya and Rathedaung.
- Responsible for regular following up of core WASH activities through coordinating with the Rakhine WASH team members and ensuring the use of best technical and do no harm practices.
- Support and lead the arrangements of WASH trainings to all IRC and partner WASH staff in Rakhine.
- Provide supports in ensuring strong cross-sector technical coordination in the field level.
- Oversee administrative, financial and management aspects to ensure successful and timely implementation of planned activities and appropriate expenditure of funds (use of BvA, Integra).
- Participate in the designing of IRC standard WASH materials (example: CHC handbooks, technical designs of WASH infrastructures) and support in cascade trainings.
- Lead the preparation of project work plans and spending plan.
- Preparation and timely submission of project reports.
- Regular collection and update of project data from team members for monthly progress report.
- Participate in the cash assistance related trainings and assist WASH coordinator and project teams for the implementation of cash assistance through different modalities where appropriate, including mobile money transfer activities.
Monitoring and reporting
- Responsible for the preparation of the detailed project workplan, procurement plan and spending plan of WASH projects in Rakhine.
- Monitor the implementation of WASH project activities, ensure the quality control and conduct visits to project area when necessary.
- Monitoring progress by following up the project workplan, procurement plan and spending plan through coordination with relevant field project teams.
- Raise procurement requests in IRC’s Budget versus Actuals or Integra Online system.
- Through regular coordination with project teams, undertake regular monitoring of activities to assess progress, identify issues, collect information, maintain detailed records of program activities and document lessons learned.
- Support the WASH Coordinator in drafting project reports, briefing materials and responding to requests for program information.
- Ensure that the inputs are timely provided for the project narrative reports.
- Always prioritize staff safety and security.
- Where necessary, participate in the recruitment of new members/ staff of the WASH project team.
- Ensure the timely submission of funds and supply requests by preparing relevant document, e.g. PR and PCR.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by WASH Coordinator and/or Deputy Director Programs as appropriate.
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in a related field (eg. civil engineering, WASH engineering, environmental engineering, public health), first degree preferred.
- At least three years of professional experiences implementing water, sanitation and hygiene programs, some of which with International NGOs, experiences working in Rakhine context and with IRC WASH team is a plus.
- Experiences “working with community groups and/or volunteers in humanitarian, post-conflict, and/or recovery development context.
- Experiences in implementing the community participatory WASH projects (CLTS, CHC, PHAST approaches).
- Excellent community facilitation skills/ training skills.
- Able to draw, design with Auto CAD, sketch up or with any other technical designing softwares for WATSAN infrastructures, prepare BoQ and estimate.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse national and international staff.
- Willingness to participate and contribute as a team member, under challenging working and living conditions.
- Good written and spoken English and report writing skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Good understanding of humanitarian principles.
- Ability to work, travel and live in project/remote areas.
- Be able to work under pressure and ability to cope with stress.
- Demonstrating trustworthiness and upholding the highest ethical standards.
Myanmar nationals with relevant skills sets and proven experience of working at international level are strongly encouraged.