Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
The Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Sustainability Advice and Solutions Department (CEG), housed in IFC Operations, is IFC’s ESG center of excellence. CEG includes approximately 200 staff and consultants with deep experience and global expertise in their respective fields. CEG supports IFC’s investment and advisory clients to manage ESG risks associated with their activities and to find value-added opportunities in their operations. CEG further leverages this expertise and operational experience in emerging markets to maintain IFC’s leadership in sustainability through ESG standards – the Environmental and Social (E&S) Performance Standards (www.ifc.org/performancestandards) and the Corporate Governance Methodology (www.ifc.org/corporategovernance) – and to encourage the effective adoption of these standards by companies and investors across the emerging markets. More details can be found at www.ifc.org/sustainability.
IFC is looking for a motivated and detail-oriented professional with experience in private sector, sectoral experience in Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) and having strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills to join IFC’s South Asia ESG team based in New Delhi or Mumbai.
Duties and Accountabilities:
1. Undertake Environmental and Social (E&S) due diligence to identify E&S risks and impacts associated with IFC investments primarily across manufacturing, agribusiness and services (MAS) sectors against the requirements of IFC’s Performance Standards; and identification of appropriate mitigation measures to ensure compliance with IFC PSs and the World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines (www.ifc.org/ehsguidelines).
2. Prepare public disclosure documents for new investments as well as other internal documentation in the investment project cycle
3. Identify systemic bottlenecks existing in the market that prevent adequate E&S risk management in the Manufacturing and Services sectors. Contribute substantively to upstream activities by using technical experience and expertise.
4. Monitoring the E&S performance of the existing portfolio companies through the review of monitoring reports and site visits to supervise environmental and/or social aspects of clients’ operations.
5. Support in development of sectoral and regional portfolio reviews, in particular in developing an understanding of systematic compliance issues in the portfolio.
6. Contribute to the design and delivery of learning programs on sustainability and environmental risk management for IFC clients and investment staff.
7. Contribute to and delivery of E&S advice to support individual clients or wider market adoption of good E&S standards and practices.
8. In coordination with the Regional Team Leads, represent IFC at technical meetings, industry events and environmental fora, with a focus on labour issues and the mitigation thereof. Provide organizational and coordination support in the convening of knowledge sharing forums and conferences and contribute to the development of content materials.
• Graduate / Advanced Degree in environment and/or natural resource management, environmental policy or engineering, or similar relevant disciplines as well as proven experience in one or more areas of environmental risk management, such as: environment, health and safety (EHS); risk assessment; occupational, health and safety (OHS); due diligence, environmental site assessment, and compliance audits.
• Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience, including private sector experience in sustainability and E&S risk management and preferable in Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services sectors. International experience across developing countries will be advantageous.
• Knowledge of IFC’s Sustainability Framework, Performance Standards (PSs) and supporting documents such as Guidance Notes, WBG EHS Guidelines, and other IFC publications on sustainability.
• Track record in working with private sector firms across industry sectors (including agribusiness, manufacturing, services) to identify environmental/social risks and issues and developing mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice. Proven experience of review of labor welfare and working conditions in South Asian countries with respect to legal framework and IFC PS 2 requirements will be desirable.
• Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse information sources, and draw conclusions from sometimes limited data;
• Exemplary project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadlines;
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances, organize and prioritize deliverables, and maintain attention to detail;
• Pragmatic, solution-oriented, problem solver with a high degree of responsiveness and proactivity, coupled with the ability to recognize when a solution is not available;
• Ability to communicate effectively and concisely in spoken and written English is essential. Additional language skills are advantageous;
• Willing and able to travel frequently, sometimes to remote field locations with limited amenities.
• A good team player with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, work effectively in and influence a team, and network effectively across boundaries.
• Familiarity with IFC/World Bank operations, procedures, and culture will be advantageous.