Dates: Flexible start date mid-May-June, 3 months extendable up to 6 months
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a global action network with over 3,000 Partner organisations in 183 countries. Founded in 1996, the network has 65 Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships. GWP’s vision is a water secure world. To realise this vision GWP supports countries to advance governance and management of water resources for sustainable and equitable development. This is pursued by promoting Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), a cross-sectoral policy approach designed to replace the traditional, fragmented sectoral approach that has led to poor services and unsustainable resource use. As a means to achieving long-term impact towards water security, GWP seeks to influence water governance processes through the promotion of IWRM principles. Policy development, strategic planning, legislative change, investment planning and transboundary agreements are examples of such processes and it is here that GWP actively contributes both inside and outside the ‘water box’ at the global, regional, national and subnational levels.
The GWP Secretariat supports Regional Water Partnerships and Country Water Partnerships to carry out their work programmes, as well as to facilitate knowledge sharing across countries and regions. This support is delivered in the context of GWP’s three anchor areas within the new GWP Strategy 2020-2025:
1. Water Solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals
2. Climate Resilience through Water
3. Transboundary Water Cooperation
This internship offers an excellent opportunity for students interested in sustainable development and water governance to gain exposure to the operations of a network organization that extends from the global level to regional and national levels.
The intern will be part of the the Water Solutions for the SDGs team in the Network Operations Unit as well as the Strategic Partnerships team in the ES Office. Assignments will include:
- Desktop research and written analysis on opportunities for programmatic development (water solutions for food security, SDGs and climate change adaptation, source-to-sea, etc.)
- Research from the monitoring and evaluation database on relevant GWP experience on programmatic issues
- Global stakeholder mapping on programmatic areas, including identifying likely funding opportunities from water-related sectors
- Proposing outreach strategies for relevant stakeholders identified in the stakeholder mapping to engage potential partners
- Support to strategic partnerships development, including relevant Communications materials, PowerPoints, and reports
- Development and population of resource mobilization Tools, including briefings and tracking documents
- Support proposal writing in related areas
- Miscellaneous support to the Network Operations Unit as needed
Requirements, Qualifications and Terms
In addition to the information and requirements set out in the general GWP Internship Description (link below), applicants shall meet the following requirements:
- Interest in water resources management, any of GWP’s overall focus areas (particularly SDGs and/or youth), and/or other environmental sustainability issues.
- Knowledge of the 2030 Development Agenda and Íntegrated Water Resources Management is an advantage
- Meet all expenses for travel, insurance and any other expenses through financial support from their educational institution, government, scholarships or through personal resources
Desired qualifications for this internship include:
- Background in natural sciences or engineering, with good understanding of social sciences and an international perspective
- Excellent communication in English, written and oral, other languages an advantage
- Good analytical skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good interpersonal and multi-cultural communication skills
Familiarize yourself with the full description and requirements of an internship with GWPO here: https://www.gwp.org/en/About/more/Vacancies-and-Internships/
Note: The Internship is based at the GWP Global Secretariat in Stockholm, Sweden. Due to the current uncertain circumstances globally, amid the Covid-19 pandemic, however, the nature of the internship may be altered. The Internship may be carried out remotely, delays and/or cancellation may also occur. GWP will closely follow developments and notify long- and/or shortlisted candidates of any changes.
Interested students should submit their applications through the online application system latest by
26 April 2020.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter with an introduction of the applicant
- Available start date
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview in the beginning of May.
Questions can be addressed to [email protected] (applications are not accepted via e-mail).