This position is located in Region 1 on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest in Dillon, MT.
Serves as the Watershed Program Manager for soils, watershed, and fisheries management on the Forest.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Elizabeth Herrmann at (406)865-0469 or [email protected] .
- Provide short and long-range planning, program direction, project support, and coordination for soils, watershed, and fisheries within the framework of multiple-use management of forest and range lands.
- Provide program leadership in land management planning, project-level analysis, monitoring, restoration, and inter-agency coordination related to the management of soil and aquatic resources.
- Provide oversight to the soil and aquatic programs including development of the annual program of work.
- Distribute the soil/aquatic workload and funding across the forest, develop and expand partnerships, secure funding for restoration projects, and report soil and aquatic resource accomplishments.
- Assist the Forest in establishing policies and management requirements that contribute to conservation and protection of aquatic and soil resources.
- Work with the forest leadership and zone specialists on a variety of topics including: program management; forest planning; project-level analysis; appeals and litigation responses, and negotiation; and environmental compliance.
- Serve as an authority on preparing reports on a variety of complex soil, hydrologic, and fisheries studies. Reports involve analysis of data collected and plans for corrective actions.
- Review reports and insure that findings reflect latest science as reflected in pertinent peer reviewed literature.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance regarding assessment techniques in soil science, hydrology, fluvial geomorphology, and fisheries management.
- Make presentations and responds to technical questions, both internally and externally.
- Prepares and replies to Congressional and other queries pertaining to assigned projects.
- Help facilitate individual growth and development of technical specialists who are responsible for program delivery. Foster a collaborative internal work environment that is equitable in terms of program attention, needs, and funding consideration.