|Job Title:||International Nautical Legal Consultant|
|Division:||Technical support Division (TSD)|
|Contract type:||Special Service Agreement (SSA)|
|Duty station:||Home based and possible travel to Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam|
|Duration:||40 working days between 1 December 2016 – 31 December 2017|
Job Summary / Job Statement
The jobholder acts as the focal point to assess hydropower developments with potential transboundary implications, and supports Member Countries in the identification and promotion of mutual and basin-wide benefits and in avoiding or mitigating transboundary costs through the Basin Development Strategy, sustainable hydropower development strategy, guidelines and tools. He or she works closely with the River Basin Planner in sustainable hydropower planning.
- Master Degree or higher in maritime and transportation law/international law of the sea.
- At least fifteen (15) years of experience in the following fields:
– International water law
– Maritime and transportation law
– International law of the sea
– Maritime and seaports law,
– Public maritime law, in all their applications
- Broad expertise in cross-border transport agreements and protocols and their direct applications in waterborne transport, also as consultant
- Knowledge of technical fields pertaining to non-physical and physical navigation matters such as dredging, customs and immigration procedures, cargo forwarding, transportation and environment, transport of dangerous goods, rules and regulations.
- Proven capability and practical experience in providing technical assistance required for various facets of international negotiation process and dispute resolution techniques in transboundary water management in an international river basin even under strong pressure and time constraints
- Demonstrated facilitation, team building, communications skills; demonstrated ability to coordinate complex negotiation process in a multi-country/state setting with social, economic, and political differences
- Experience with implementation of projects/programs financed by international financing institutions such as the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, bilateral donor aid agencies etc.
- Experience with MRC and Mekong work and networks in the region is a very important advantage
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Excellent writing, presentation, and reporting skills
The Terms of References and other information can be obtained at MRC website http://www.mrcmekong.org/working-with-mrc/employment We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are especially encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Closing date for applications: 9 December 2016
The application should include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, (iii) MRC Personal History Form, (IV) at least 3 reference, (V) consultancy fee. The position title and division must be indicated in the cover letter.