The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is an inter-governmental organization initiated and led by the Nile riparian countries to promote joint development, protection, and management of the common Nile Basin water resources. NBI has a Shared Vision, namely: ‘to promote sustainable socioeconomic development through the equitable utilization of, and benefit from, the common Nile Basin water resources. The NBI provides a unique forum for the countries of the Nile Basin to move toward a cooperative process to realize tangible benefits in the basin and build a solid foundation of trust and confidence under NBI designed to contribute towards the realization of the NBI Shared Vision. NBI has three Centres: Nile-SEC based in Entebbe, Uganda, NELSAP-CU based in Kigali, Rwanda and ENTRO based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
2. Regional Water Resources Modeler
The Purpose of the Regional Water Resources Modeller is to bring in high calibre water resources modelling expertise to provide analytical expertise to support the implementation of the Water Resources Management functions of the Nile-SEC. The Water Resources Modeller shall work under the supervision of and report to the Deputy Executive Director/ Head of Basin Wide Program (HBWP).
The Regional Water Resources Modeller will be stationed at the Nile-SEC in Entebbe, Uganda but may be required to travel frequently to Nile Basin riparian countries in the course of duty. The detailed/ full job description can be downloaded from www.nilebasin.org
3. Job Purpose/Scope of work
The Water Resources Modeller is responsible for analytical work in the Water Resources Management (WRM) unit focusing on the operational use and further customization and refinement of the Nile Basin Decision Support System (NB-DSS) and other modelling tools. S/He contributes to technical analysis for addressing strategic water resources issues in the Nile Basin, including climate change impacts and adaptation.
4. Key Responsibilities
1) Maintenance and further enhancement of NBI modelling tools, especially the NB-DSS
2) Operational Application of Analytic Tools to support strategic water resources analysis
3) Knowledge Management
4) Project Management
Academic/Professional Qualification and Experience
• An MSc in relevant fields of Water resources such as Civil Engineering, Water Resource Engineering and management, Hydrology or other technical related field.
5. Minimum Experience Required
• At least ten years of working experience in water resources engineering, or a related field, with recognized technical expertise. In addition, seven years post MSc hands on experience in the above fields is desirable.
• Proficiency in at least two modelling systems, such as RiverWare, RIBASIM, SWAT, Mike Hydro, GAMS, WEAP, TALSIM-NG
• Wide experience with water resources modelling for watershed and riverine applications; experience in database development, and Geographical Information System is an advantage.
• Working knowledge of the Nile Basin DSS is an advantage
• Proficiency in at least one modern computer programming language
6. Skills Required
• Water resource modelling skills
• Data processing and analysis
• Technical writing
• Processing and using climate change data in water resources modelling
• Excellent written and spoken English.
• Strong analytical and presentation skills.
• Excellent sense of initiative, ability to set priorities and work under pressure with accuracy and dedication
Interested and qualified individuals are advised to visit the NBI website at www.nilebasin.org to download the full details of this assignment and person specifications. Interested applicants who meet the requirements are invited to submit their application/cover letters and CV electronically to the Executive Director at: [email protected].
Application/cover letters clearly indicating the title of the position and accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 18th Sept 2023 at 2:00pm Local Time in Entebbe, Uganda). Please do not attach copies of your Academic & professional certificates and testimonials- these will be provided when you are shortlisted and notified.
Your CV should clearly indicate full contacts (e-mail, telephone) of Three (3) referees and two (2) former employers excluding the current employer. Due to the expected large number of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
NBI offers a good work environment with competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the qualifications and relevant experience. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.