Wetland Monitoring Data and Outreach Internship
RTI International seeks a prospect for the Wetlands Monitoring Data and Outreach Internship within the Center for Water Resources in the Environmental Engineering and Economics division.
The RTI Center for Water Resources uses advanced data management, analysis and modeling approaches to deliver strategic, evidence-based solutions to solve water resources challenges associated with water supply, flood management, ecosystem management, and hydropower.
The Wetlands Monitoring Data and Outreach Internship is part of a pilot program to establish the procedures and methods for a volunteer wetland monitoring program in North Carolina. The selected intern will assist with the development of a data portal for volunteers to share data, provide tools to visualize results, and develop applications to transfer results to multiple end users. The monitoring data will be used to determine the condition of each wetland, establish baseline metrics for wetland condition, and demonstrate / quantify services provided by different wetland types. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluating different data sharing platforms and methods for data management.
- Developing a website to inform and engage volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Developing the data structure and collection forms.
- Assisting with the installation of monitoring equipment and training volunteers to properly submit data.
RTI's Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI's open and educational culture; support RTI's mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This unpaid internship, located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, will take place from mid-May 2020 through mid-August 2020. As an academic internship, the selected intern must either receive academic credit or fulfill an academic program requirement. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week, not to exceed 40 hours per week. Hours are flexibility during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Currently enrolled advanced undergraduate or graduate student, who studied or is studying one of the following fields: Biology, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources, Hydrology, Soils, Communication, or Data Management.
- The student must either receive academic credit or fulfill an academic program requirement.
- Demonstrated experience with Excel, or other database management system, and data sets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Experience with DotNetNuke (DNN) or similar content management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in ecological-related science education or field work.
- Ability developing, creating data repositories, GIS applications, or data visualization.
- Familiarity with social media, marketing, or communication strategies.