Under the overall supervision of the Director of the Water Sciences Division (HYD) and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist of the Hydrological Systems and Water Scarcity Section (HSS), the incumbent would provide technical assistance to implement thematic activities of the Section for Hydrological Systems and Water Scarcity as follows:
1. Act as support coordinator within the Section of Hydrological Systems and Water Scarcity and provide technical assistance to implement thematic activities of the Section;
2. Provide technical and logistical support to implement FRIEND, GWADI, WLRI, IFI, IDI, ISI, PCCP and Snow and Ice activities in coordination with respective secretariats;
3. Help coordinate and organize side events and thematic events:
- – FRIEND Inter-Group Coordination Committee meeting, at Headquarters;
- Second International High-Level Conference on the International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development, in Dushanbe Tajikistan;
- Africa Water Week, Namibia;
- Stockholm Water Week, in Stockholm, Sweden;
- G-WADI Strategic meeting, at Headquarters;
- Climate-Resilient Water Management Approaches: Application Towards Climate Action and 2030 Development Agenda at Headquarters, in November 2020;
- COP-26, in Glasgow UK in November 2020.
- Any other events organized by HSS Section and Water Sciences Division in Headquarters or in different regions.
4. Prepare lists of participants and reports of the above events and support publishing HSS documents;
5. Support general monitoring and reporting on the activities through SISTER, update the project database and draft reports in liaison with colleagues at Headquarters and in the field offices, promotion synergy among other projects within the Division;
6. Create and maintain communications and dissemination of the outcome of the activities;
7. Support further work by UNESCO on behalf of the Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme (IHP), with a particular focus on water related disasters including floods and droughts within the framework of the Eighth Phase of IHP (VIII-2014 – 2021); Contribute as team member to the activities of the section.
● Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of Natural Science, Hydrology, Earth Sciences or International Development Studies.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 1 year of relevant experience;
- Familiarity with one or more of the following fields: environmental sciences, water resources, and Climate Change;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Proficiency in MS Office, Excel;
- High degree of independence, as well as well‐ developed capacities for teamwork;
- Strong knowledge of computer applications, web skills and social media.
- Excellent knowledge of the English languange.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience of work with the United Nations would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of the French language would be an asset.
The incumbent shall work 100%. He/She shall shall submit a monthly activity report. The total monthly cost inclusive of charges would amount to approximately 3229,00 euros (Three thousand two hundred and twenty nine Euros).
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.