The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
An overall plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for consultants with relevant expertise on rangeland management, dryland forestry management, national parks management and development, eco-tourism development, desertification control, gis/remote sensing, vegetation cover restoration, forest and rangelands assessment and monitoring, natural resource software development, water harvesting and irrigation management, climate change adaptation and mitigation, natural resource public-private partnership, and institution and organisational development.
The Component Consultants report to the Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for sustainable natural resources management and conservation.
Tasks and responsibilities:
The Consultants of the project component on natural resources management in coordination with the Component Technical Adviser and National Manager will:
- Undertake situation analysis and comprehensive sector review for natural resources and environment sector in KSA using appropriate internationally recognized approaches and methodologies
- Benchmark, identify and promote international best practices for sustainable forest, rangeland, national parks, eco-tourism and natural resources management and conservation and environmental protection.
- Undertake baseline and diagnostic studies to update existing information, fill critical data and knowledge gaps and support monitoring and evaluation for natural resources management and environment conservation.
- Pilot, test and promote the introduction and adoption of innovative practices, technologies and approaches for restoration, rehabilitation, conservation and sustainable management of vegetation cover and other natural resource and desertification control.
- Provide advisory and technical support for the establishment of the National Centre for the Development of Vegetation Cover and Combating Desertification.
- Strengthen the capacity of MoWEA and key stakeholders to efficiently implement innovative technologies and practices for sustainable management of natural resources, demand driven Public-Private Partnerships, natural resource extension services and implementation and reporting on regional international conventions and agreements.
- Develop and disseminate information and knowledge products through established best practices for communication, information and knowledge management.
- Establish and promote the use of web based interactive platforms and information systems for sharing information, knowledge, tools and experiences for sustainable natural resource management in KSA.
- Develop guidelines, tools, and frameworks for sustainable natural resource management (forestry, rangeland, national parks, desertification control, etc.)
- Develop and launch a communication strategy and action plan to enhance public environmental and natural resources conservation awareness in KSA, and support establishment of a reliable network of environmental related associations and NGOs.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in natural resources, forestry and range, agriculture or any other related field.
- 12 years of relevant experience in sustainable natural resources management, development and conservation including at international level.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location and particularly in field positions.
- Extent and relevance of experience in natural resources, land cover mapping and GIS, vegetation cover restoration conservation, land management and climate change.
- Familiarity with project management skills including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting.
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
- Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.
- Work experience with international organizations and in technical cooperation projects supporting countries.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in natural resources management and related issues.
- Ability to provide technical and advisory services.