The holder of this position will fulfill a key role in project delivering and expected to provide effective supervision of wash activities within the project area**
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all the BoQ and design of any infrastructure is developed according to the project, such as latrines, earth pans, berkad, temporally housing and other key WASH activities.
- Maintain proper records all WASH activities and other intervention as per the design of the projects
- Ensure that there is full participation of the camp or community leaders including transparency and accountability
- Ensure that proper record keeping is maintained and that there is enough publicity for the projects
- Submit all the records and briefing to the area Manager and submit the project interim and final reports including weekly and monthly reports
- Identification of project sites for the intervention (site identification) including conducting baseline and need assessments whenever needed.
- Prepare detail implementation plan of the projects and Identification of beneficiaries
- Responsible to ensure high quality of work is maintained for the realization of the project objectives by ensuring designs and specifications are followed by the contractors/suppliers
- Participation and collaboration with the community leaders to sensitize and mobilize the communities and signing of MOUs and other agreements where necessary.
- Report all problems or abnormalities of any kind at the construction sites to the managements
- Network and submit all documentation to the logistic departments for payment purposes
- Record and ensure there is adequate documentation of the projects
- Submit interim and final report of the project to the area Manager and the project officer
- Ensure regular communication and updates of the project progress through email, telephone to the Area Manager and provide weekly reports
- Field visit to target households, cross checking and update accordingly on regular basis.
- Support the monitoring of project activities and assisting with reporting (monthly report, interim report, final report, Intervention completion report);
- Facilitate and support disaster preparedness and public information activities identified;
- External coordination with respective line ministries and clusters on regular basis and project update sharing.
- Be familiar with, and ensure the adherence to, the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, HAP, and Islamic Relief’s policies and procedures.
- Any other assignment given by supervisor/line management.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Work independently on tasks related to project planning and implementation with periodic reporting and direction from supervisor;
- Make decisions on project implementation and its daily management responsibly based on available resources, skills and knowledge of staff and access to affected communities;
- Ensure implementation of locally appropriate and feasible projects in close consultation with local authorities and communities;
- Proper management of financial resources, equipment and project utilities.
- Work in adherence to IR’s policies and procedures.
- Network with government, local and regional NGO and private sectors as deem appropriate to promote, build links, and seek support to create market for goods and services of project beneficiaries.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Knowledge of community based approaches in humanitarian and development settings is desirable.
- Competency with the analysis of contextual information, and developing clear, informed recommendations.
- Proficiency in English (Written and spoken) is essential
- Good IT skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel is essential.
- Willing to adapt to IRW’s norms and values without compromising personal beliefs and principles.
- Excellent communication skills – able to communicate and report effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Willing and able to work long hours as required and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to participatory approaches when working with communities.
- Willing to learn local mechanisms, culture and humanitarian and development ,Able to build productive working relationships; work as part of a team, and support colleagues.
- Communicates honestly, openly, and consistently. Shares information appropriately and ensure that views of all members of the team are freely expressed.
- Good numeracy skills with knowledge of local markets and cost estimating are desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build working relationships quickly and to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
- Able to form recommendations for creative solutions in problem solving.
- Energetic and able to operate in situations which may be arduous.
- Should be prepared mentally to do extensive field work and visit other locations within the Somalia.
- Able to work flexible hours when necessary and strive towards task completion.
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding of humanitarian principles and sympathy with Islamic Relief’s values, as well as a commitment to Islamic Relief’s vision and mission
A university degree of civil engineer, water engineer, public health, construction management and other relevant field from world standard recognized university
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 03 years’ experience including at least 02 years working for national and international NGOs in Wash sector;
- Experienced in Water tricking activities..
Additional job responsibilities
- Attending all the cluster meetings in your area of jurisdiction
- Attending any local authority meetings including other stakeholders’ meetings
- Development of quality proposals and Inclusion of gender across all the projects
- Conduct monitoring of projects including post mortem distribution
- Conducting joint or single standing assessments with other cluster members or partners
Islamic Relief is equal opportunity All, however encourages female candidates to apply
How to Apply
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications (most updated CV , cover letter, Academic Qualifications and copy of your passports with 3 referees from your previous/or current employer to the email ID: [email protected] ** With subject line as application for the position of – Wash Officer –Baidoa Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.