High-profile research that matters: Climate Central seeks a highly productive junior-to-mid-career natural or social scientist dedicated to making a strong societal impact. Top candidates will be creative and quantitative thinkers; prolific, independent generators of top-quality scientific manuscripts; and fluent in written, spoken, and visual communications for broader audiences. This is an opportunity to publish numerous papers from a platform promoting strong public attention for the best reasons. Candidates don’t need to be sea-level experts already; it’s more important that they have strong aptitude, are driven to have a big impact on the climate conversation, and are eager for a research and work agenda shaped accordingly. The scientist will sit within Climate Central’s nationally recognized sea-level rise program and conduct critical research, writing and outreach for our U.S. and global work.
About Climate Central. Climate Central is an independent group of scientists and science translators who research and report the facts about our changing climate and how it affects people’s lives. We use science, big data, and tech to generate thousands of local storylines and compelling visuals that make climate change relevant and show what can be done about it. Climate Central’s sea-level rise program is a recognized leader in both climate science and communication. Our peer-reviewed research has been downloaded and accessed half-a-million times; our October 2019 paper in Nature Communications garnered more media and online attention than any other climate-science publication in 2019 and for at least the seven preceding years. Our research, web tools and expert perspectives have appeared in more than 15,000 stories ranging from covers of the New York Times to local TV news features to China Daily to The Hindu. Our web assets have won more than 250 million page views, including wide and extensive use of our online tools by NGOs and governments at every level.
- Conduct research on sea-level rise and coastal flooding impacts
- Lead and contribute to scientific papers for peer review
- Identify and collaborate with co-authors
- Engage with the media, opinion leaders, and decision-makers
- Engage with users of Climate Central sea level data (corporate, governmental, NGO)
- Support relevant communications products including maps, tools, visualizations and reports
- Ph.D. in a relevant natural or social science
- Strong evidence of high productivity and performance
- Strong quantitative and data-analytic abilities – blended with creativity
- Facility with Matlab, GIS, python, R or similar; skilled in data visualization/figures
- Excellent written & oral communication skills, including for lay audiences
- Self-starter and independent worker also able to take direction and work in small team
- Ability to travel and extend work hours for critical priorities
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Strong visual communication skills (e.g. data visualization for broad audiences; web tool design)
- A significant record of peer-reviewed publications in respected journals with lead authorship (clear evidence of strong and independent scientific writing)
- Prior experience interacting with media and/or other lay audiences
Climate Central’s headquarters are in Princeton, N.J. Some remote work is an option.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter including salary expectations; your resume; and contact information for three references familiar with your work, to [email protected] with the exact subject line, “Sea-Level Scientist” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.