WWF Myanmar was established in 2013 and is working to conserve the country’s biodiversity and build a sustainable future for people and wildlife. The focus is on promoting green economy within national policies, and sustaining and protecting biodiversity and ecological connectivity of the transboundary Dawna Tenasserim Landscape (DTL) through an integrated landscape approach, and the Ayeyarwady river basin through an integrated river basin approach. Find out more at www.wwf.org.mm
The WWF Myanmar Freshwater Programme aims to promote the conservation of Myanmar’s unique aquatic biodiversity, and sustainable water resources management. Specifically, we focus on conserving the last two large free-flowing rivers in tropical Asia – the Irrawaddy and the Salween are their associated aquatic habitats.
WWF-Myanmar is now inviting applications for a Senior Freshwater Ecologist position to be based in Yangon.
Major Functions: Act as the main ecologist of the freshwater water team to provide expert inputs and advise in the programmes for aquatic ecosystem conservation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead ecological and biological work of the freshwater programme
- Advise the rest of the freshwater team (and wider WWF-MM) on biological and ecological aspects
- Organise impact oriented biodiversity surveys, monitoring and research
- Identify and propose priority areas for freshwater ecosystem conservation and restoration
- Manage specific programmes and budgets
- Manage junior (project) staff
- Advocate and represent WWF’s vision on freshwater ecology and conservation externally
- M.Sc. in freshwater ecology, biology or a closely related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in ecological or biological research and/or conservation
- At least 5 years’ experience project management
- Experience in working with Myanmar Government Agencies
- Preferably experience in working with NGOs
- Fluent in Myanmar language
- Good command of English, oral and written
Closing Date: 30 April 2020 (Thursday)
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and curriculum vitae stating the position title and reference number in English by email to [email protected] (application documents should be addressed as Document_Yourfullname).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.