CDP is a leading international charity founded 16 years ago to address the dangerous threat of climate change. It has since grown to become the world’s foremost system for companies and cities to report on carbon emissions, water stewardship and deforestation. We operate key hubs in London, New York and Berlin with other representation in the rest of Europe, Brazil, Australia, Japan, India and China.
CDP North America (CDP NA) is an independent 501(c)3 charity, based in New York, which works in close association with other members of the CDP operation throughout the world. Our office is growing and we are seeking a highly motivated individual with a financial background to assist in managing CDP NA’s relationships with investors and signatory entities. The position is based in CDP NA’s New York office. CDP administers an annual disclosure process on behalf institutional investors with combined assets in excess of $92 trillion. Disclosing companies provide quantitative and qualitative information about their greenhouse gas emissions, energy efficiency programs, water management, exposure to deforestation and strategic business approach to environmental risk. The Director of Investor Initiatives in North America will report to the CDP NA President and Global Head of Investor Initiatives.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage North America Investor Initiatives team, reporting directly to CDP North America President, Lance Pierce with matrix reporting line to Head of Investor Initiatives, James Hulse
- Develop and implement CDP’s strategy for collaboration with other US-based investor groups
- Develop and implement long-term strategy for the global and North American Investor Initiatives team, tailoring where appropriate for North American market and identifying key aims with necessary resources
- Cultivate US/Canadian signatories and memberships, with a focus on asset owners
- Develop and build strong relationships with key investors
- Achieve annual financial targets for the Investor Team and the North American team
- Promote the Investor Research work performed by CDP to investors and investor groups
- Work with other programmatic teams in collaborative projects and activities to achieve CDP’s overall strategic plan
- Track activities of the group and coordinate investor engagement in North America
- Communicate investor initiatives strategy, progress and actions to all North American team members
- Represent CDP North America and CDP’s Investor team at external events
- Utilize knowledge and understanding of sustainable finance to further engage investors
Skills and Experience Required
- At least 15 years of experience in the investment industry
- Experience as an investor with an in-depth knowledge of the investor world and an ability to build relationships at the highest level.
- Experience in cultivating members/memberships
- Experience in management level roles; management skills to ensure day-to-day running of the team and effectively deal with a matrix management structure
- Ability to have high level strategic thinking, while also being able to be detail-oriented
- Commercial understanding to help increase financial contribution of the team to CDP.
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainable finance such as green bonds and other environmentally-related financial instruments
The successful candidate will work 5 days per week and must be able to work legally in the USA. The role is located at our offices in Chelsea, New York City.