Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Urban Development and Water Division (SAUW) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership, innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SAUW is responsible for sector support for urban development and water.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Environment Specialist will lead environment-related tasks in urban development and water sector projects in South Asia, and be responsible for ensuring compliance with ADB’s safeguard policies on environment, including preparation of assessments on environment and climate change, and identification of opportunities for climate change financing in support of the Division‘s loan and Technical Assistance (TA) operations. The incumbent will assist with developing and implementing projects and contribute to the development of policies and strategies addressing environmental safeguards and broader environmental sustainability and climate change issues. The incumbent will report to the Director, SAUW and may supervise one or more National and Administrative Staff.
- Review and help the government finalize environment assessments and other related reports such as Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Assessment and Review Frameworks (EARF), and Environmental Due Diligence (EDD) reports as required to support loan and TA operations and to ensure they comply with ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS).
- Take the lead of environmental safeguards and climate change aspects of loans and TAs in coordination with project mission leaders. Tasks related to environmental safeguards are: environment categorization, preparation of environmental assessment reports (as stated above) and environment safeguard sections for documents such as project concept paper, Report and Recommendations of the President (RRP), Project Administration manual (PAM)/Facility Administration Manual (FAM), loan and grant agreements, TA paper, and project completion reports (PCR) in a timely manner required for the successful approval of projects. Tasks related to climate change are: preparation of climate risk and vulnerability assessment (CRVA), estimation of climate mitigation and adaptation costs, estimation of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions or savings. Prepare climate change inputs for the RRP, PAM/FAM, EARF, TA paper and loan and grant agreements as necessary.
- Take the lead to identify and pursue opportunities for high technologies, and to address environmental safeguard issues and enhance addressing climate change impacts during the project identification, project design, loan processing and project implementation phases of the project cycle.
- Contribute to the SAUW’s workplan and internal protocols/procedures to ensure that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover environmental safeguards and climate change in projects preparation and implementation. Track and monitoring of safeguards policy compliance of Division’s ongoing projects. Supervise the performance of reporting staff and consultants to ensure quality and timeliness of outputs.
- Take charge of public information and disclosure initiatives. Lead and facilitate as needed liaison and contact with clients, non-government organizations (NGOs), development partners, and within ADB, including coordinating responses to complaints.
- Liaise with relevant divisions in Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC) and within SARD on environmental safeguard requirements and climate change. Participate in ADB-wide safeguards policy-related activities and initiatives, and contribute to safeguard policy formulation and review.
- Advise borrowers, executing agencies, project sponsors, consultants and NGOs on ADB’s SPS, procedures and best practices; and assist them in preparing appropriate frameworks, plans and actions to address identified issues. Participate in and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on environmental safeguards as well as to other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building. Develop and administer TA and other training programs for capacity building on environmental safeguards, broader environmental sustainability and climate change. Develop knowledge products (good practices, guidelines, checklists, indicators, etc.) on environmental safeguards and climate change.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in Environmental Science/Management/Engineering or other related specialized fields. University degree in Environmental Science/Management/Engineering combined with specialized
- experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in environmental work including at least 5 years’ international project experience; Preference for experience in environmental work in the preparation and administration of urban development and water sector projects in South Asia;
- Experience of multilateral development agencies will be given preference;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Demonstrated experience with corporate coordination and communications;
- Demonstrated experience in building effective external partnerships, knowledge dissemination and communication;
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 4
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.