Are you passionate about the water environment? Do you know the issues and pressures in the water environment? Are you an experienced project officer ready to champion the environment in Wales? Then we’ve got the job for you!
NRW will receive funding via the Welsh Government Capital Fund for 2020-21 for water quality improvements. We are looking for a project officer to coordinate and oversee the work and to provide advice and support for water issues. This is an exciting opportunity to work in the Sustainable Water group within the Evidence, Policy and Permitting (EPP) Directorate. The location is flexible within Wales working as part of the Integrated Water Planning Team. The role will also support and lead on some aspects of the wider work of the team including River Basin Management Planning and water related areas of work on Sustainable Management of Natural Resources. The post holder will work with colleagues from other teams in EPP and Operations, officials from WG and sector representatives. You will work with colleagues from other teams in EPP and Operations, officials from WG and sector representatives.
This is an opportunity to work in a diverse, professional and stimulating environment with the ability to opt into NRW Sports and Social events and with National Parks, scenery and culture on the doorstep. The role comes with a generous package including 28 days annual leave (rising to 33 days over 5 years), flexi-time scheme which allows you to work flexibly between 7am and 7pm, flexible working arrangements, a generous career-average pension scheme, eye care, tax free childcare schemes, corporate benefit schemes such as cycle-to-work and discounts at many retailers, plus occupational health, counselling and advisory services. Staff also have the ability to purchase additional annual leave up to 10 days (pro-rata).
Where this role sits
Evidence, Permitting & Policy Directorate – Integrated Water Planning Team
To lead on the provision of water planning technical assessments and advice. This role will focus on supporting the Welsh Government capital funding for water quality improvements projects in 2020-21. You will work with colleagues from other teams in EPP and Operations, officials from WG and sector representatives.
Key Job Accountabilities
The post holder will:
· Prepare technical assessments, drawing on a range of complex information and data sources;
· Manage the preparation of material to inform the development of NRW, WG and other Partners policy, statutory advice and guidance documents with a focus on supporting the Welsh Government capital funding for water quality improvements projects in 2020-21; Manage the development of procedures, tools and guidance and lead the delivery of new ways of working.
· Liaise with external stakeholders with a focus on supporting the Welsh Government capital funding for water quality improvements projects in 2020-21 such as Welsh Government, sector representatives and partners to ensure the timely and effective delivery of project, policy or strategy obligations.
· Advise on evidence needs and opportunities and project manage agreed evidence projects, in line with the agreed evidence programme;
· Support engagement with sectors, partners, WG, Environment Agency, SEPA and NIEA, and other Environment bodies in the UK; and be the lead point of contact for customer queries
· Maintain knowledge of the water sector identifying the implications of legislative, technology and market changes for Natural Resources Wales and the sector.
· Contribute to task and finish groups, commissioned through the Business Boards, to prepare defined products as required;
· Collaborate with the Team Leader to develop and deliver an agreed Personal Development Plan
Key Job Qualifications or Knowledge
· Knowledge of: Welsh, UK and EU legislation related to WFD; Welsh, UK Government policy drivers in WFD; and the issues and opportunities in Wales.
· Experience of: technical analysis and interpretation of a range of environmental information and data and analysing large data sets.
· Working with/in water companies, local authorities, eNGOs, National Parks;
· Working in a programme and project management environment with Project Management experience and/or qualifications.
· You will be a member of a relevant professional institution such as CIWEM and/ or working towards membership.
· Share your knowledge and expertise to help solve problems, supporting all Heads of Business in EPP as required;