The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 3 million members and online supporters. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world’s natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC works in countries and regions including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and the European Union.
For two decades, NRDC has been a thought leader and trusted adviser to our partners in China. With a highly effective team of more than 40 based in our Beijing office, we have worked at both the national and local levels to recommend, develop, and help implement innovative laws, policies, technologies, and market tools that to advance climate change and clean energy action, curb pollution, protect nature, and accelerate China’s transition to a sustainable low-carbon economy. NRDC’s Beijing Representative Office is registered with the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and supervised by the National Forestry and Grassland Administration of China.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking an experienced leader and manager to oversee the work of our China team based in Beijing. Since NRDC first began working in China more than two decades ago, our Beijing office has continued to grow as a recognized leader in China on climate and clean energy, nature protection, and promoting healthy people and thriving communities. As the Senior Director of our China Program – NRDC’s China country director – this position will lead NRDC’s work in China and collaborate closely with NRDC’s international teams working in other countries and at the global level. This position reports to the Managing Director of the International Program.
As the leader of NRDC’s China team, this position will provide vision, leadership, and mentorship to our work and staff on implementing our strategies. The Senior Director will ensure the effective management of our teams and operations, guide our work with strategic partners, lead fundraising, and represent NRDC publicly. As a member of the international management team, the leader will help NRDC continue to expand its international impact by helping to leverage the breadth of NRDC’s expertise across the organization. As a result of the Senior Director’s leadership, we will have continued strengthening of our China strategies and impact on-the-ground.
- Provide overall leadership to NRDC’s China staff, China projects, and work development, under the guidance of the Managing Director of International Program and NRDC’s Chief Program Officer, including setting and implementing strategic goals, prioritizing work topics and resources, and taking effective approaches to maximize NRDC’s work impact in China;
- Engage, develop and expand strategic non-profit partnerships in China and internationally to advance NRDC’s mission and climate and environmental goals;
- Lead fundraising for NRDC’s China work (outside China), including guiding proposal and project design and preparation, finalizing proposal narratives, and developing budgets together with relevant project leaders, as appropriate;
- Represent NRDC in public forums and public communications, acting as an effective spokesperson on NRDC’s China work, including our China vision, goals, strategies, projects, achievements, partnerships, and other important elements;
- Direct the communication with pertinent government authorities to ensure NRDC Beijing office’s full legal compliance under the NGO law of China and to maintain efficient interaction with the government;
- Exemplify and encourage teamwork and inter-team coordination and collaboration in NRDC’s Beijing office and with other NRDC programs and departments to create synergy of our work;
- Manage the Beijing office’s operations through the supervision of the project directors and operations director in the China Program and help ensure legal compliance with all applicable U.S. and Chinese laws;
- Continue to build and retain a strong NRDC China team by motivating staff to be creative, take initiatives, do teamwork, enhance professional knowledge, strive for high performance, and embrace NRDC’s value and culture;
- Other responsibilities as NRDC senior management may assign.
- A graduate degree in climate, energy, environment, economics, public policy or another relevant field;
- 10+ years of professional experience and 6+ years of team management experience in a sustainable development field;
- Proven ability to manage a team with high morale and performance, and to collaborate effectively in an international organization with people of diverse cultures, perspectives and backgrounds;
- Fluent Chinese and English languages, including oral and written presentations;
- Deep understanding of China, including climate, energy and environmental policies, political structures, economic situations, and cultural norms;
- Strong problem-solving skills and abilities to make sound judgement and decisions based on consideration of different views.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting.