Position: Head of Climate
Location: Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, or within Canada
Reports to: Program Director
Details: Full-time, permanent
Salary: $70,039 CAD
Deadline for applications: April 7, 2020
Greenpeace Canada (GPCA) is seeking a Campaign Head to provide leadership in the development and implementation of our campaigns to fight climate change and expose the often-scandalous way the fossil fuel industry is driving climate change in Canada.
This is an exciting and critical time for GPCA as we work to rise to the challenge of the climate crisis. The head of our climate campaign will supervise and empower a team of passionate campaigners who want to change the world. They will have strong strategic judgement and intuition, look at our environmental challenges through an intersectional lens, and value diversity and inclusion. They will be experienced in both the use of digital and face-to-face organizing in campaign design.
The ideal candidate will possess both humility, emotional intelligence and strong ambition to make change to advance our mission. They will be motivated to foster collaboration and embrace the need to mobilize and involve people in campaigning in order to win, and to work with and support others working for change.
As an organization Greenpeace Canada recognizes and supports the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) and is committed to collaboration and consultation with Indigenous Peoples to ensure our campaigns and positions respect their rights.
Lead the planning, development and evaluation of campaign projects.
Provide team leadership, encouraging and inspiring collaboration, innovation
Supervise team members, providing direction, coaching, and managing performance.
Provide expert advice to the GPCA’s Program Director and Executive Director on campaign and management issues.
Develop and oversee project budgets.
Act as an organizational spokesperson as needed.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Progressive management experience in a not-for-profit or mission-driven organization.
- Experience managing local and remote teams in a senior management capacity, including experience working internationally with diverse cultures and across time-zones.
- Proven experience spearheading complex campaigns with communications and supporter mobilization components.
- Display sound judgment, sometimes making decisions on a very short timeline or responding quickly to external events.
- Ability to problem-solve, coach, mediate and resolve staff performance and other complex, highly sensitive issues. Proven track record of building, assessing and leading high-performing teams.
- Deep commitment to the overall goals and intent of Greenpeace with respect to peaceful confrontation as a critical theory of change and the principles of non-violent direct action.
- Ability to be decisive, a risk-taker and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Bilingualism (English and French) and other languages is highly desirable.
You will work with colleagues in Canada and around the world and some international travel may be necessary. Evening and weekend work is sometimes required.
All candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
More About Greenpeace Canada:
Greenpeace Canada is an independently funded, non-profit organization that works to protect the environment. We challenge government and industry to halt harmful practices by negotiating solutions, conducting scientific research, introducing clean alternatives, carrying out peaceful acts of civil disobedience and engaging the public. To maintain independence Greenpeace does not accept donations from corporations or governments. Greenpeace relies on individual donors and creative partnerships to fund our environmental campaigns.
Greenpeace Canada embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs and desires of Canada’s diverse community. We thank all applicants, but only those invited for interviews will be contacted.
- Work from home opportunities
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
- Company pension
- Vacation & paid time off
- Parental leave
- Employee assistance programs
- Wellness programs
- Dental care
- Flexible working hours
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $70,039.00 /year